We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senior Discount

Martha's Vineyard...
8 posts
Save Topic
Senior Discount

Hi and thanks

I'm a senior and want to travel from Madrid to Granada then on to Seville then to Barcelona. on Ave should I wait and get senior discount tix when in Spain or buy AVE from usa. John

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,907 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Senior Discount

The senior rail card called Tarjete Dorada is available to purchase within the Renfe web site if you wish. Otherwise you can buy just before you buy your rail tickets in Spain.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Senior Discount

I don't think the Tarjeta Dorada can be purchased online through the Renfe website.

renfe.com/EN/…tarjeta_dorada.html

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Senior Discount

The internet web fares are better than the senior discount on AVE. If you are traveling anytime soon, it's off season in Spain and you shouldn't have much trouble (availability, that is) getting the Web fares. However, the AVE website is temperamental to say the least. Look at the How can I buy Renfe tickets online? guide which is on the left-hand side of the page...first top question.

BTW, Gigi's mum is correct. You must purchase Tarjeta Dorada at a RR station in Spain..with appropriate ID (passport is best).

Also, AVE does not at this time go from Madrid to Granada..but the Altaria does. There is a webfare now for January of 27 euros. It's a 4 hour trip. Then train...not AVE to Sevilla.. AVE fromSevilla to Madrid, and AVE from

Madrid to Barcelona. Web fares would save you a lot of money.

Edited: 03 January 2013, 23:48
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,179 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Senior Discount

Friends:

This is to confirm that the Tarjeta Dorada card can only be bought at a Renfe station in Spain. You have to show the station clerk identification to show your age. That is why it is not available in the internet.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
674 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Senior Discount

If traveling on a Saturday, which fare is cheaper...Tarjeta Dordaa or Renfe, and is there much of a difference?

Martha's Vineyard...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Senior Discount

HOLA Thanks does this mean I have to buy a seperate tix for each leg when i'm in Spain or get Eurail pass does the pass cover all the trains in Spain including the Ave? john

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Senior Discount

floridagal,

Renfe is the train company that offers the Tarjeta Dorada.

If a Web discounted ticket is available at 50%-60% discount, then it will be cheaper than a ticket purchased with the Tarjeta Dorada. Holakjs has mentioned this in post #3.

Some trains do NOT have Web discounts (ie MD and Cercanias). In such cases, using the Tarjeta Dorada will be cheaper.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,907 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Senior Discount

wcelest

Getting the Tarjeta Dorada which is a small card that last for one year and you buy at a main station showing passport to prove age (not on internet which is the other Rail Pass that RENFE now deliver renfe.com/EN/…index.html )

In Spain when you travel on the long distance and Media Distancia trains you effectively buy a seat for your journey. So even with the Pass or Senior Card you need to reserve your seat. With the Spanish rail pass (not Eurail) you have several options for purchase.

If you really wish to book in advance and pay for a potentially cheaper web fare ticket by selecting on RENFE web site you will need to read up the copious notes about doing this ! See How can I buy RENFE tickets online >>>>>right column.

floridagal

The price depends on the type of train you plan to take. read the notes :

and whether you can secure an equivalent discount or better using the RENFE web site. The cheaper fares on RENFE are limited and the nearer the day of travel then the more unlikely you will find a discount. With a Tarjeta Dorada the upfront cost of the card is small and you should immediately see some savings especially if you plan more than one train journey.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,907 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Senior Discount

I thought that I had also penned in above message. I must have had a 'senior moment' myself when writing my previous reply. Clearly some days are better than others. LOL

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
674 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Senior Discount

Thanks guys for your replies. I should have read the posts more completely.