We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UAE
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

I will be in Madrid on March 2013 for 3 nights and then driving directly to Barcelona for 4 nights. I'm wondering, how long does the drive takes? and is it safe? is it OK to make the drive overnight? are there a restaurants or stops on the way? any recommended city or sightseeing that we must to visit during this trip? any other tips?

I appreciate your support as this is my first time in Spain!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

Why would you want to drive? It will take you at least 6 hours of driving (plus stops) on busy toll motorways. A train would get you there much faster and with less stress.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,011 posts
3,463 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

Black:

You can take the AVE with less effort. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

According to the Via Michelin website, you can go there in 6 hours and 12 minutes by the most rapid highways. It is about 600 km.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,076 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

You really don't want to have a car in Madrid or Barcelona either, it will be an absolute pain. Both cities have excellent public transport systems and relatively inexpensive taxis. Don't hire a car for a two-city holiday.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

I agree, a car is more of a hindrance than a help in both Madrid and Barcelona. Parking is a complete nightmare and can be quite expensive. Most of the time you will find yourself exploring both cities on foot or by metro - why pay hire and parking costs for a car to stand in a parking bay? If you really do need a car once you get to Barcelona, just hire it on an as and when basis, and only on the days you need it.

If you still wish to drive, the roads are very good, I have actually made this journey in just over 5 hours, but I timed it right and the traffic was light. There are service stations en route where you can stop for a coffee and comfort break.

For sightseeing ideas please see 'Things to see' on both the Madrid and Barcelona forums. The top questions section also provides lots of useful information.

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,934 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

BlackAxis,

Car rental plus gas, toll fees and drop-off fees could cost you hundreds of euros. Barcelona-Madrid is a popular route for both visitors and Spanish residents. The AVE train could cost as low as 35.95€ one way for Turista (tourist) class! Or you could pay a little more and travel Business or Club.

Tickets are currently offered up to 3 March.

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

For the cheapest price, buy directly from the Renfe website (read the Top Question mentioned by BennyMalaga). RailEurope is a more user-friendly website but you'll have to pay service charges. Either way, it's better and cheaper than driving.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

Agree with all the above posters. It's the train in Spain.

7. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 07:16