We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

An interesting article from a Madrid's tour guide:

tourguidemadrid.com/2013/…

1. Re: How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2013, 13:35
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

Yes I agree the situation is good for tourists right now.

However, I wonder how long the social situation can be kept this way. Families will not be able to maitain unemployed members forever, and there is already 1 million familes with all members unemployed. Obviuosly many of these must have some kind of "under the table" job, but all this may be catastophic in the long run (if not already)

As said by myscreen in the Barcelona forum, we may become a country divided on servants and those who are served. This is awful, even it may be still great for tourists.

Tampa,Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

I was staying in Atlantico hotel in Madrid when the first of the demonstrations where going trhu La Gran Via, (July 2012). There is nothing to worry about. Just think of the 99% protests in New York. Use your common sense, and just avoid the area. It happens that I was very tempted to join in. These protests are justified, and they are harmless.Hope this eases your fears.

Maryann

4. Re: How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 January 2013, 10:05
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

Hi Maryann,

I'm glad to hear your support to the demostrators, I'm one of them (here in Barcelona).

Sadly only violent incidents, some even out of context, do reach the news. Millions of peaceful demonstrators seems do not make good headlines in the media... But anyway, demonstrations should not be a concern for tourists.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

The thought that the catastrophic economic situation is a benefit to tourists is repellent. 55% youth unemployment? Oh well, never mind, the visitors can eat out more cheaply!

This is NO basis for a stable economy.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

Hola Revulgo!

BTW, l do not know anyone who's not paying attention to the demostrations. Some agree, some disagree, some fear them, but not ignoring them.

But maybe this is because most retired guys I know belong to the "yayoflautas" movement ;-)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

Hi NoSoyGuiri, you said it better than me.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

Since the economic crisis began in 2009 in the US, I noticed that people, in general, are much more customer friendly than previous to the crisis. It mattered more than you bought and that customers were better served. Do you notice that difference in Spain?

I can't say I noticed a great difference when I was in Spain in Madrid, Asturias, Valencia, but a three-week stay is different than full-time living. Benny, Flora, Revulgo, MacPollo, etc. what do you say to my comment?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How does the Spanish crisis affect to tourism?

Holakjs,

I really don't know what a 'better service' means. Freaked-out waiters on duty?