We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Torrance, California
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

Hello,

We are planning our second trip to Madrid in May 2013. So excited. We are looking to rent an apartment in Luisa Fernanda Street located in the Argüelles neighborhood. I would appreciate any feedback about the area.

Thank you.

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

HI! Our daughter lives in Madrid, and we have stayed in the Mad4Rent Arquelles apartment. In fact, we are staying there at the end of May and into June. The neighborhood is quiet, there are plenty of small stores for produce, bread, essentials. You are near the university. You are about a 15-20 minute easy walk to the Quevedo metro stop. There might be one closer, but we walk toward our daughter. Near that stop is the El Corte Ingles for all of your shopping. if you are thinking about the apartment on Fernanda that has the terrace and one bedroom, it is the best of the apartments that we have stayed in so far. The terrace is beautiful and has a great automatic shade. The kitchen is well equipped, the bed is comfortable, the bathroom is good sized and clean. You are on the 5th floor, and you are near the elevator so you can hear some elevator noise at certain times, and we did not find it to be a problem. We have stayed in a Mad4Rent apartment for 3 years in a row now. We find them to be helpful and friendly. You should know that the person who greets you at the apartment will speak English but may not be as fluent. We have our daughter go with us, and she asks all the questions. If your Spanish is good, it's not a problem. If you are booking through their website, know that you can not use an American issued credit card, but you can use a PayPay account. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,525 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

Luisa Fernanda is a quiet street two blocks from a police station and very near to the Hotel Meliá Madrid Princesa, the Templo de Debod and Plaza de España. Closest subway: Ventura Rodríguez.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

I can only add that I was living in Argüelles for a couple of years and loved it!

If you're fine with not being right "on the middle", but in a nice area with good transport links... go for it.

Torrance, California
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

Thank you everyone for your responses. We (a group of 50+ yr olds) were looking for a quiet, safe neighborhood with good transport links. It seems Arguelles will be perfect for us.

Is it safe to walk from Plaza Espana back to the apartment at night? We want to catch the "Magic Fountain" show and I think its located there.

Jan S. - We're using Airbnb. We've used them for rentals in Berlin and Munich and it was a great experience. Thank you for the info on Mad4rent - if Airbnb doesn't work out, we'll check them out.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
339 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

Oooh – I hope you're not building up too much hope of seeing the magic fountain. You may be thinking of the one in Plaça d'Espanya in Barcelona, about 400 miles away:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187497-d501696/Bar…

So you probably wouldn't be walking back to your apartment :)

Edited: 31 January 2013, 00:07
Torrance, California
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

Oops! I got my forums mixed up! We're also going to Barcelona on the same trip so my walk back will be definitely be shorter. Thank goodness!

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

Plaza de Espana in madrid (and anywhere in Arguelles or Madrid's city center) is safe to walk any time day and night. There are some streets closeby like Montera and Callao area where there'll be prostitutes late at night, a bit seedy but not dangerous at all.

8. Re: Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2013, 18:42
Torrance, California
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We stayed in the apartment on Luisa Fernanda and absolutely loved it! The Ventura Rodriquez metro stop is a couple minutes walk and very convenient to main areas in Madrid. There were couple of supermarkets within 5 minutes from the apt. There is a very good bakery next to the market but forgot the name! We ate several meals (dinner and breakfast) at the El Rinco de Sancho Panza bar right next door. It's a small, neighborhood bar that has couple of table in the back for sit down meals. Good, simple, cheap food. The waiter did not speak English but was very nice and helpful. 10 minute walk to Plaza de Espana. If you don't mind long walks, you can easily walk to Palacio Real and Plaza Del Sol. We didn't make it Templo de Debod but it's a short 5 minute walk. My friends were able to catch a taxi at the Melia hotel nearby for their early morning flight. We loved Madrid.

10. Re: Need feedback on Arguelles neighborhood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 05:16