We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun restaurants in Madrid

Bloomfield Hills...
2 posts
Save Topic
Fun restaurants in Madrid

We are meeting our son, who is studying in Sevilla, in Madrid for a couple of days in April, then heading to southern Spain to tour around. We'd love to find a really fun place to eat that's lively and has good food. We don't care what type of food it has, just so it's good and it's a fun place to hang out. We'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,264 posts
3,585 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun restaurants in Madrid

HBR:

Malacatin is famous for its cocido.

http://www.malacatin.com/

Reservations are a must.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun restaurants in Madrid

I think there are lots of fun and delicious restaurants in Madrid. I remember laughing quite a bit at La Gabinoteca and it wasn't because I was drunk. :-)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Scotland
Level Contributor
408 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun restaurants in Madrid

Will be in Madrid in April for Rammstein gig & was recommended both Mercado San Miguel & Mercado de San Anton as must try for good food & also fun places to eat.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187514-…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187514-…

Edited: 06 February 2013, 13:08
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun restaurants in Madrid

I like the mexican restaurant La Mordida, very colorful and great mexican food (not tex-mex, but actual mexican food, difficult to find in spain). Several locations, but i like the most the one in chueca

www.lamordida.com/restaurante.php?id=Belen

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun restaurants in Madrid

A fun restaurant…

The first venue which comes to my mind is the baroque Olé Lola.

http://www.olelola.com

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun restaurants in Madrid

Of the restaurants listed, I would vote for Casa Mingo, which serves roasted chicken and other specialities of the region in northern Spain, Asturias. Also, upon request, they will pour the sidra in the traditional Asturian way. Server hoists the bottle over his head and pours.

See these images. https://www.google.com/search…

Since you are going in April, that just isn't the season, in my opinion, for el cocido, a classic stew of Madrid...all meats are cook together but served in courses, tirst, the broth/soup; second, the vegetables (with beans esp. garbanzo/chickpeas) third,, the meats...stewed. I know this is the specialty of many restaurants on certain days of the week (Tues, for example), but though I love almost everything Spanish, cocido doesn't have the charm of many dishes....maybe in January, when it's cold, but other than that, I will pass. Anyone agree with me?

La Mordida which means "the bite" is slang in Mexican Spanish for "bribe" which indicates it's probably a fun place...and apparently with good food, but I don't go Spain to eat Mexican, but it sounds interesting.

Ole Lola sounds fun, which a little too much emphasis on the "drinking" part of the dining experience.

Just my opinions.

Bloomfield Hills...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun restaurants in Madrid

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Looks like we have some great choices!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun restaurants in Madrid

I should mention that Casa Mingo is a little out of the historic center although it is across the street from Goya's tomb and a chapel having one of his frescos.

If you're just there for a couple of days, I would just take a taxi...although it's a 10-15 minute walk from the next metro stop, Principe Pio so you can go by metro is you choose.

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun restaurants in Madrid

We enjoyed pretty much every tapas bar we entered. Most nights we didn't eat a "dinner" as such--just went tapas bar to tapas bar.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun restaurants in Madrid

Yes, yostwl, what an obvious idea, and we all missed it. Check out this link that Revulgo put together for free tapas.. Usually a meal of tapas do add up, but this sounds like a fun and cultural thing to do...esp. with son on Spring Break.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187514-i126-k5202…