We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
985 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

Hi All!

I'm putting together an itinerary and need your input. We will arrive in Madrid, stay for a few days and would like to visit Seville, Granada and Cordoba.

However, I'm not sure how efficiently and easily this could be done by train or bus in such a way that we're saving time and there's no back-tracking.

Appreciate your responses.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

Beenthere:

A straight line would be more or less Madrid-Cordoba-Seville-Granada.

For train travel, read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Also read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online. I recommend 2 days in Granada to see the Alhambra.

Cordoba - 2 days

Seville - 3 days

While in Madrid you can do one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia. Read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Seville
Seville
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
985 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

Hi BennyMalaga,

Your info is much appreciated. Yes, I've printed "Buying Renfe Tickets Online" guide. I'm watching the days for when is the right time to buy the tickets. BTW, are these all AVE trains?

There's not enough time to see all these places according to your suggestion; perhaps we'll shorten to spending only 2 days in each.

Thanks much for your help.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

How long do you have for Madrid plus Granada, Sevilla and cordoba? I wouldn't try to do all three with less than 10 days..

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

you can also spend 3/4 days in seville and do cordoba as a daytrip from seville, gaining one day.

AVE trains (high speed trains - around 200mph) are only the line from MAdrid-Cordoba-Seville.

Seville-Granada are called MD trains, but are good and fast anyway (around 110mph)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,278 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

RENFE continuously keep the ticket buyer guessing. For example before you normally assumed that the schedule for buying on line was around 62 days ahead of day of travel. That is to say, the tickets would go up on the web site so it was pointless looking at say 63 days ahead. Now I see that things are more random. For example I can buy ticket from Cordoba to Madrid up to and including 12 May. Now that is about 90 days ahead. So you need to keep checking this from time to time.

The trains from Madrid down to Cordoba and Seville are mainly AVE coaches with some ALTARIA coaches. Altaria is the type of train that also only goes down to Granada via Cordoba. Altaria is very nice but does not go high speed like AVE. The train between Seville and Granada is MD or Media Distancia which is more of a kind of commuter train and again perfectly comfortable. On this line I think you can already buy tickets although web discounts are just not available at all - ever.

If you want to start your journey in Granada then move to Seville then Cordoba before Madrid this is good. Many people prefer to take the bus down from Madrid to Granada especially the SUPRA economy bus which has more comfort for under €40. Refer www.alsa.es

The train Madrid to Granada stops at Cordoba so perhaps the way I may do the tour is get first to Cordoba and rest up here for a night or two depending on other factors then go on the train Cordoba to Granada then Granada to Seville then Seville to Madrid.

Or bus down to Granada from Madrid then train Granada to Cordoba (slow but pleasant ALTARIA) taking 2 1/2 hours then train to Seville and return to Madrid.

Cordoba is quite compact and the "jewel in the crown" is of course the Mezquita and area around so perhaps consider one nighting or if really really short on time then fit it in during a long day including bag storage at the station .

But any route configuration could be good if you can bag some cheap fares.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Granada
Granada
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

Beenthere:

Renfe has many different types of trains and the AVE is only one of several. When you are looking at the schedule, it will tell you what type of train it is.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

3-4 nights in Seville, 2 in Granada and end with 3 or 4 in Madrid is my vote.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Granada
Granada
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
985 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

hi, myscreen123...

[[you can also spend 3/4 days in seville and do cordoba as a daytrip from seville, gaining one day.

AVE trains (high speed trains - around 200mph) are only the line from MAdrid-Cordoba-Seville.

Seville-Granada are called MD trains, but are good and fast anyway (around 110mph)]]

I need to go back to MAD (outbound flight) and based on the above routing, I can go back to MAD from Granada? or is it back to Seville to MAD. something like this: MAD-Cordoba-Seville-Granada-Seville-MAD.

thanks!!!

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Seville
Seville
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
985 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

BennyMalaga...

{{Renfe has many different types of trains and the AVE is only one of several. When you are looking at the schedule, it will tell you what type of train it is.}}

in other words...it's a "one-stop" shop for all trains???

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
985 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madrid to Andalusia itinerary question

hi, cadizlover...

thanks for the details---much needed as there's quite a dizzying array of options!

\\The train Madrid to Granada stops at Cordoba so perhaps the way I may do the tour is get first to Cordoba and rest up here for a night or two depending on other factors then go on the train Cordoba to Granada then Granada to Seville then Seville to Madrid.\\

We really don't have much time on our hands, unfortunately...so can we just do a day trip to Cordoba and see the highlights?

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Seville
Seville