We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnetka, Illinois
Level Contributor
157 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

I am having trouble doing the above,

Can anyone give a cite or phone , or any other info, about buying the above tickets.

Thank you

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

Read buying Renfe tickets online.....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Winnetka, Illinois
Level Contributor
157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

Thanks ,

I did go to the renfe site and it claims no trains are available on march 28,29 and 30. I assume this is incorrect.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

The Guide that Pavoreal recommnds is super and contains all the info, but these are a couple of troubleshooting points

1. Consider registering with RENFE. Then if you make multiple attempts and/or purchases the info entered, name, passport #, etc. etc. is ssved so you don't have to keep entering basic info.

2. Have your credit Master or Visa secured This is copied and pasted from Section 45 of the Renfe Buying Guide.

If you are going to use a Visa card, sign up with the Verified by Visa program first. If you are going to use a Mastercard, sign up with the Mastercard SecureCode program first. This added security with a PIN number seems to have helped many people buy Renfe tickets. If you do not know how to get the sign ups, talk to your bank first and ask them how to get them.

Here is the site for Verified by Visa signup: https://usa.visa.com/personal/securit...

Here is the site for Mastercard SecureCode: http://www.mastercard.us/securecode.html

3. Amex card and Citibank cards will NOT owrk. Visa Debit will.

4. Call your credit card co. to tell that you will be making a transaction with a Spanish company RENFE, the national Spanish railroad.

5. This is another impt. comment from section 45.

If you have problems which you cannot resolve, call Renfe, who can transfer you to an English speaker.

Phone number: (+ 34) 902-109-420 (Hours:7:00-23:00 - Madrid time, which is 6 - 9 hours ahead from the US. ..6 from New York, 9 from CA)

These comments to not cover all the important issues, but were things that helped us make a purchase. For best results, read the entire guide.

Winnetka, Illinois
Level Contributor
157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

Thank you very much

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

"I did go to the renfe site and it claims no trains are available on march 28,29 and 30. I assume this is incorrect."

I just checked Renfe and there are many, many trains available on all three days.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,235 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

thewino,

I wonder if you're looking at the right page? From the Home page, you should click on Ticket Purchase (the shopping cart) which would direct you to this page:

https://venta.renfe.com/vol/inicioCompra.do

There are many trains available. Unless you are 4 people traveling in a group, avoid the tickets marked with a Blue "M". These are usually the cheapest but they are the Turista Mesa (tourist table) tickets that must be sold in blocks of 4 tickets.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
674 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

I booked tickets for May thru Petrabax. This is what I did. Most likely any custormer service rep can help you.

I first checked out the price and schedule on the Renfe site and then called Petrabax (spoke to Milagros) 1-800-634-1188. I e-mailed her the destination cities, the fare type, time of departure and she would check it out and get back to me. I actually cut and pasted the schedule with the fares to her. She then responded with their price ($10 surcharge per ticket) along with a credit card authorization form which we filled out and sent back to her. We already received our tickets via e-mail and got 4 seats together (2 together with our friends right behind us). It was very easy and not at all stressful. I'll be glad to answer any other questions you might have if I can.

Most likely any of the customer service reps can help you.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
674 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

i am so glad this worked for you. It is so much easier for US residents and apparently is not always more expensive than Renfe's prices with no aggravation. Happy travels.

This forum is terrific.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
674 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

I meant the above posting for another site.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying train tickets from Madrid to Barcelona in the US

I've been having the same initial issue booking the train from Madrid to Barcelona on the Renfe website. It keeps telling me there are no trains available, so i've just gone over to the Petrabax site and it is so much easier to book! Thank you for the great info on this forum. It saved me a lot of headaches!