We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandemans madrid walking tour

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
queensland,australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
sandemans madrid walking tour

Just found out about this and reviews sound excellent. I know it's very individual but can anyone tell me how much people in their group tipped their guide? Don't want to look stingy but not sure what the going rate is.

Thanks

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sandemans madrid walking tour

I am rather certain that the guide is the "owner" in which case, he's taking all the profits. No need to tip, IMO, but listen to other opinions. Also, from what I heard if you like storytellers, this guy is great...if not really factual.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sandemans madrid walking tour

Since this is a free tour, it would be very appropriate to tip. Remember, you didn't actually pay for the tour. Does anyone know what the summer schedule is? The winter schedule is 11am and 2pm. I have written twice to Sandemans who have responded both times to tell me to watch the web site every day to see if the schedule has changed to the summer schedule. Can anyone tell me what the new times might be, for my planning purposes. I'll check every day to see about the change, but I'd like to plan ahead.

Thanks, Gracias.

Melita

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sandemans madrid walking tour

I would tip around 5 euros if it's a free tour.

nevertheless you have paid official tours starting from Plaza Mayor tourist office in many languages, highly recommended. They usually are 7-8 euros per person.

Newbury
Level Contributor
173 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sandemans madrid walking tour

Anybody know the summer schedule times yet, we travel to Madrid on 28th May for 4 days, and would love to do this tour

Newbury
Level Contributor
173 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sandemans madrid walking tour

anybody?

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sandemans madrid walking tour

Hello sabro,

On my tour the guide was being tipped with more blue bills than any other color. Those would have been 20 euro and/or 5 euro notes.

It would be useful to determine what the charge is for other similar walking tours from the Plaza Mayor. All you would have to do to find out would be go up and ask. Participants of those tours that charge undoubtedly tip the guide in addition to having paid for the tour.

I suspect the Madrid Free Tour guides have to 'pay' a certain amount for each person they take on a tour, because before the tour leaves, they take the names of the participants and do a head count. And there are other people helping with the organization of the Madrid Free Tours in the Plaza that have to earn money too.

The tour was great! Go for it.

The tour times are still 11 and 2. Times changed about 6 weeks ago and I don't know if they will change again. Regardless, there was a notice on the web site for at least a week that times were going to change so they don't just spring it on you. Just look at the web site before you go to be sure of the time. Here's the web site: newmadrid-tours.com/daily-tours/free-tour.ht…

Enjoy!

Spirit

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sandemans madrid walking tour

From what I know about this tour is that this is an uncertified individual competing with those who are. If you would have an uncertified surgeon operate on you...or an uncertified electrician wire your house, then you are probably happy to support this enterprise. Obviously, some people have different opinions. As myscreen reports, official tours are offered in many language for only a euro or two more. Go to the tourist office in the Plaza Mayor for these tours.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: sandemans madrid walking tour

Guided tours in English run by professional guides. Cost: €5.90

www.esmadrid.com/guidedtours/portal.do…

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sandemans madrid walking tour

This tour is cheap and cheerful - I enjoyed it when I went last October and me and my husband tipped €15 between us.

10. Re: sandemans madrid walking tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:16