We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

India
Level Contributor
61 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

We are 2 people arriving Madrid by air and taking the AVE train from Madrid to Seville and then back from Seville to Madrid.

Have bought tickets in Preferente class and noticed that there is 20 kg weight restriction on baggage.

We each actually have a suitcase about 23 kg and a carryon bag 10 kg ie 2 pieces of baggage as is usual on international flights.

How strict are the Spanish railways and what do you suggest.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

At train stations luggage is put through a scanner, but there is no check on the weight. However there is limited storage at the end of each carriage, otherwise you must be able to lift the case onto luggage racks above the seating.

You will be OK with your bags.

India
Level Contributor
61 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

How early should we board the train such that we are the first one in the carriage to ensure we get space for our suitcases. They are regular size suitcases and not sure if they would fit/balance on the overhead luggage racks.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

Not too sure of this, possibly others will help, but I think the gate to the platform opens around 20 minutes before train departure. If you arrive at the station around 30/40 minutes before the due time, you may be near the front of the queue.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

Usually the track on which the trains run are announced 30 minutes before the departure time so being there 40 minutes ahead is safe.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

When you buy clubclass/ preferential are you allowed to use the club lounges in Atocha? Is it worth relaxing in there? I too will be taking a round trip mad - seville with connecting departure to san sebastian in May and wondered if I should chill in the lounge or wait in que

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

Yes, you're allowed access to the lounge at Atocha. The queue doesn't usually start until the monitor displays the platform number for the train about 30 minutes prior to departure. So the lounge is a nice place to wait (with monitors inside the lounge).

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,245 posts
3,585 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

ramswiss:

They do not weigh your luggage at Renfe. To get space on the small luggage rack at the end of the car, be at the waiting lounge half an hour before your trip.

Angelina:

Although I have often had a preferente ticket, I never use the club lounge.

I stay in the general lounge to see the TV screen showing the trains that are being announced.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

The club lounge also has the TV screen with the platforms on the screens. So you get a nicer lounge with amenities if you go into the club lounge.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

Definitely use the Club Lounge at Atocha Angelina! It's great - much much nicer than the general one, this is part of the service you are paying for after all.

Passengers travelling Preferente will not have problems finding luggage space on the train, there's more in the Preferente carriages, so don't think you need to rush to find space.

Edited: 05 March 2013, 16:36
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baggage on AVE train Madrid to seville

We don't often traveling Preferente, but when we have, we used the Club Lounge. It's worth it although we haven't used it for a number of years. Just show your ticket, and you should be good.