We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to hotel

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southport UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to hotel

I posted on here recently asking advice about hotels near the Cathedral where we are attending a wedding in June. Thanks for all the help received..we have booked the Opera Hotel f or 3 nights. My first question is about getting from the airport to the hotel. I have read that the metro is quite good. A few years ago we went to Paris and used the RER from the airport and had a bad experience with 3 Romany women who I caught trying to steal from my handbag. They worked the RER picking on Tourists with luggage who were not paying attention. Does the same happen in Madrid? I know it cant be totally free from crime... but is it a big problem? My next question is ....if it is comparitively safe..... is the metro the best way to get to our hotel? Your comments would be appreciated once more

Essex, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to hotel

I've had no problems on the Metro in Madrid, always clean, cool and pleasant. Have seen buskers on there but not the in-your-face-type. The Metro in Madrid is a step up from the one in Paris, in my opinion. You can travel for 1€ and do not need to leave the airport to get the Metro.

Ian

cheshire, England
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to hotel

We were in Madrid about 12 months ago & I nearly had my bag dipped by two romany women on the metro. Apparently it is very common and you must be aware that this could happen in busy places such as the metro & the main square in Madrid.

We have been to Madrid several times & have used the bus that goes from outside the airport to Plaza de Colon in the city centre. This is a bit of a walk from where I think you are staying - so you may be better on the metro or in a taxi - make sure you find out approx how much it will be first.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to hotel

The metro journey to your hotel is quite safe. You will have to transfer two times though. My recommendation is to change to the line 10 in Nuevos Ministerios then in Principe Pio change to the R line which just goes back and forth between Opera and Principe Pio. The transfers are the easiest that way and its faster, although it looks like you go out of your way.

If you decide to take a a taxi it should cost around 25euros.

Now about pickpocketing. Yes it is very frequent in Madrid for wallets and cameras to go missing so be aware of your belongings at all times, when walking in Gran Via, Sol and at outdoor cafes. As long as you are aware of your surroundings you should be fine, Madrid is a great city to visit!

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to hotel

I second everything Limoncilla has told you.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to hotel

Pickpocketing is here... as it is everywhere. But honestly though, I´ve had far more problems with potential thieves and pickpockets in the major cities of the U.S., than I´ve ever had in Madrid.

Listen to limoncilla and Holakjs, they´re well aware.

Myself, I ride the Metro every day, several times a day, and there has only been one incident of an attempted pickpocket. I was in a suit, reading phone messages, and three guys attempted the ¨dropping keys on the floor at-my-feet¨ pickpocket scam. They were fools, didn´t know what they were doing and botched it (fortunately!). Probably because I´m familiar with the scam, and they misjudged me as a target.

Point is this... be very aware of your surroundings, and what everyone is doing. Metro travelers for example who have just landed or arrived are particular targets because they´re usually disoriented and concentrating on navigation, not their belongings. Keep your valuables hidden, well-protected, not easily accessible by a ¨loose¨ hand. Not in your purse or wallet.

In the major tourist spots (Sol, Gran Via, Plaza Mayor, etc.), assume (I really, really hate to say this) that most everyone in the crowd are out to pick your pockets. It´s NOT true of course, but you need to have this constant awareness of the crowds and people around you. Don´t wear fanny packs... try to dress as much like the locals as possible... don´t carry valuables or wallets in back pockets, honestly try to avoid carrying around anything of serious value to you. Really, you shouldn´t need to.

Don´t carry your passports, please don´t... you won´t need them while you´re out in public... hide your credit card, preferably along with your money in a hidden waist or neck money-belt.

(sigh) It distresses me to say stuff like this, because I do think Madrid is a very safe city, compared to anywhere else in Europe or America ... but people do get things stolen here and caution is called for unfortunately.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to hotel

Thanks, Dobry. I just now cc'd your remarks to our daughter who is traveling with husband in Barcelona, Amsterdam, Paris and other parts this summer. She has heard her mother's voice for many years. You know after a while it's just bla, bla, bla. Out of someone's else mouth, it sounds more impressive. I think you said it well!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to hotel

candt --

Pick pockets are everywhere - they're more of a problem for tourists simply because many European travellers carry large amounts of cash so all travellers become targets. Moneybelts, neck wallets and safety pins become your best friends when you're travelling. Don't wear expensive jewelry, don't flash your cash. and don't keep all of your cash in one place. Secure your assets and then forget about them and have a good time.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to hotel

Thank you so much for all your advice and help. Im really looking forward to our trip and will post on here on our return if I think I can help anyone else in a similar situation.

WEST PALM BEACH
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to hotel

I am going to be in Barcelona and Madrid next week and I am trying to figure out exactly how to pack my camera and valuables (passport, money, credit cards)

When I am walking around sightseeing, what is the best way to carry my digital camera? It is fairly small, but not one of the new tiny ones.

How does one dress comfortably for the hot summer and yet blend in to the locals while carrying a camera...?

If the local women carry purses or bags, why aren't they in danger of getting ripped off?

Do women in Spain walk around with knapsacks?

I am totally confused as to where to keep my stuff...

Thanks!!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to hotel

Hola, this is in reply to kbcantor,

Yes, women in madrid carry purses. But it all depends on what part of the city you are in. Most tourists are in the historic center and there everyone, even local women need to be a little more careful which means they clutch their bags a little closer and keep an eye out for whats going on arround them. The tourists for one, look like tourists, and two, they sometimes dont pay attention enough to the people around them while they are looking at buildings as their camera is stolen from the outside pocket of their backpack.

I am a woman and I like to carry a purse with a long handle that I can wear cross ways across my body and have it in front of me. Its like a bag and can carry a small book, my camera, phone, glasses, whatever. But I do not carry all my credit cards or huge sums of money when I am in the historic center. I havent had any problems in 5 years.

Good luck!