We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

madrid to barcelona

Kuwait
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
madrid to barcelona

This has probably been discussed before though I couldn't find the thread. but what is the best way to get from Madrid to Barcelona. Should I take the train or should I take a regional or domestic airline if it's the latter, which airline is best and how long are the flights?

thanks so much.

Edited: 02 April 2013, 09:08
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: madrid to barcelona

ivy:

Take the AVE to Barcelona. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online. The AVE is the most advanced high speed travel system in Spain. It is very comfortable and they have a cafeteria car.

They have sold a system to Saudi Arabia.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: madrid to barcelona

Downtown to downtown plus security check-ins, AVE wins in time and convenience. True, the Barcelona RR station is not right in the downtown, but it's more central than the airport. I, too, am an AVE fan...big-time.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: madrid to barcelona

Holakjs,

The Barcelona train station, Sants, is not in the central tourist area but by commuter train Rodalies, one can get to the centre in 4 minutes. With the AVE ticket, that train ride is free.

ivyleaguer,

The AVE train takes about 2.5 hrs and is very comfortable. Fares are as low as 37€, if you buy online in advance.

ohio
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: madrid to barcelona

We just made the same trip on the ave train, I am working on my trip report. Check in was a breeze, you board about 30 minutes before departure, and the scenery was a bonus. The train was comfortable and fast. Enjoy both cities!

Florida
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: madrid to barcelona

I notice on the AVE trains that they have luggage shelves in between cars. When you board the train do you just put your suitcases on the shelves and then take your seat? From what I have heard the suitcases are safe in that area.

Also, except for a strike, how often are the trains delayed in departure and arrival?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: madrid to barcelona

Delayed? Any more than 15 minutes, and your ticket price is refunded. This information is printed on the ticket. Their on-time percentage is incredible....a little different than AMTRAK although we support the trains in the US . We ride them but know that on-time is not a high priority.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: madrid to barcelona

Yes, you just put your case on the luggage shelves. AVE trains always depart on time are 99% on time arriving because if they appreciably late, passengers are entitled to a ticket refund.

Edited: 11 April 2013, 17:49
Florida
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: madrid to barcelona

The only reason that I ask about any delays is that on the day of my cruise, out of Barcelona 5 PM, I am taking the 08:25 am train from Madrid that gets into Barcelona at 10:55 am. If the trains are rarely delayed then I am fine. Probably could have taken a later train.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: madrid to barcelona

I remember 1 AVE train that I took to be delayed 30 mins because there were enormous floods and the railtrack was not safe. That was 4 or 5 years ago, during a period of unusual strong rains, and I've been taking AVEs for the last 15 years.

Florida
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: madrid to barcelona

I only wish that we had trains like that in the US.

How long does it take by taxi from Barcelona Sants station to the port? I'm also reading that tipping is not usual in Spain. However, does one tip the taxi drivers or just pay what is on the meter?