We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granada to Madrid -- Train/preferente vs Supra bus

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,480 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Granada to Madrid -- Train/preferente vs Supra bus

How would you compare the preferente train ride to the Supra bus for this route. We'd like to see the countryside -- both appear to offer food (no great expectations there but would like to know the difference between the two) -- both take about the same time. Which is more comfortable and more secure for luggage.

Is luggage security an issue on Spanish trains? We will have suitcases a bit larger than a 22" rollerboard but still quite manageable -- for a 5 week European trip.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Granada to Madrid -- Train/preferente vs Supra bus

Hi Jane,

The train is certainly more comfortable (especially as RENFE are introducing new rolling-stock on this route) than the bus, and you will arrive much more relaxed. If travelling Preferente you get great wide seats and they'll also feed you.

There are rarely security issues with luggage on trains, a bit of common sense is required (i.e. keep your valuables in a smaller bag on the rack above you or beside you if the train isn't full).

Depending on when you are travelling you can get a Preferente seat for around €35 if you book your tickets online in advance, so it's definitely worth doing so.

Edited: 05 April 2013, 23:23
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Granada to Madrid -- Train/preferente vs Supra bus

NSG gives excellent advice as usual. What i would add from personal experience and many train journeys through Spain is whilst it is usually a very safe and pleasurable experience sometimes people do become lackadaisical and get carried away with the scenery and forget what's happening around them.

I have always tried to sit facing in the direction of the rack or stowage area of where my luggage is stored, that way i can keep an eye on it as someone walks passed or when coming to a station.

As NSG says, any valuables try to keep with you.

The train without doubt would be the preferred mode of transport for me and i wish you a lovely journey and have a fantastic trip in Europe :)

CB

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Granada to Madrid -- Train/preferente vs Supra bus

Janet:

There is an overhead rack above your seat where you can put your luggage, so it is always secure.

Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,480 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Granada to Madrid -- Train/preferente vs Supra bus

thanks -- very helpful. we bought out Alhambra tickets as soon as we knew when we would be in Granada -- a couple of weeks ago and they were already sold out until 1 pm on the day we are there -- so buying ahead is really critical.

train it is.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Granada to Madrid -- Train/preferente vs Supra bus

Aboard an ALSA Supra-class bus you can enjoy the outdoor landscape, a basic eat: packed sandwich (usually chorizo & cheese), beverage (coke, water or beer) and milky coffee, all for free (included in the cost of the ticket), but you can get also for free a gin & tonic from the gorgeous hostess. Don't miss the awesome restroom experience: a tiny booth surfing on a flan.

6. Re: Granada to Madrid -- Train/preferente vs Supra bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 06:17