We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe for booking train tickets

Noosaville...
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Renfe for booking train tickets

I am trying to book 2 train tickets from Madrid to Granada through the Renfe web site. No matter if I select one way or return I am not having any success. Is Renfe a difficult site? Alternatively do I bother to book in advance? How many trains go from Madrid to Granada on a Saturday? We will be travelling towards the end of May. Any advice very gratefully received. Thanks

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renfe for booking train tickets

It would appear you have not found the guide on RENFE, the Top Question, on the right.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 13:53
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renfe for booking train tickets

Not everyone wants to read 10,000+ words simply to buy a train ticket.

The trains are showing for Saturday 25th May Madrid - Granada, it's certainly worth buying in advance as there are good discounts to be had by doing so (but you do surrender flexibility/refundability).

Are you looking to stay overnight or do a day-trip? A day-trip won't leave you much time in Granada as the journey is over four hours.

You will need to inform your bank you are making a purchase via a Spanish site, and sign up to Verified by VISA or MasterCard Secure as RENFE requires this. It's also easier if you register your details with RENFE before starting your purchase rather than getting embroiled with that at the same time.

If you can't be bothered with all that then RENFE's London agency are really helpful and can sort you out over the phone (they'll charge a £10 fee but you still get all the discounts):

www.spanish-rail.co.uk/contact-us-5.html

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,279 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renfe for booking train tickets

Mary,

On Sat, May 25, there are 2 trains to Granada. Current data is as follows:

ALTARIA 09218, 9:05-13:30, P for Promotion fare as low as 34.20€ o/w

ALTARIA 09234, 17:05-21:37, P fare as low as 27.35€ o/w

Here's a link to Tripadvisor's Top Question on Renfe. I used it last summer and it helped me save 100s of euros. You can decide which way to go - thru Renfe or thru a 3rd party vendor. If I can help you, feel free to ask here or send me a pm.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Hope you can stay overnight in Granada! The view of the illuminated Alhambra is spectacular from the Mirador de San Nicolas (or one of the restaurants there). Use www.timedate.com to check time of sunset.

Make sure to buy your tickets online in advance for the Alhambra.

ticketmaster.es/nav/…

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,719 posts
3,654 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renfe for booking train tickets

Mary:

If you read Buying Renfe Tickets Online, you can buy directly from Renfe and not pay a third party a commission fee. Thousands have done it, so why not you?

Noosaville...
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renfe for booking train tickets

Thanks. I finally managed to do it. After registration it was easy. Think the problem was I was trying from my IPAD. Tried on the PC and it worked well.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renfe for booking train tickets

Glad to hear! Thank you for reporting back the good news!

7. Re: Renfe for booking train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 07:17