We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to live in Madrid for a commuter

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge...
2 posts
Save Topic
Best place to live in Madrid for a commuter

Hello all! I really hope I'm not repeating a question but I couldn't find anything tailored to this:

I just got accepted to teach in Tres Cantos (yay!) and I was hoping to live closer to the city and commute. Does anyone know of:

1. the best way to get to tres cantos everyday

2. a safe neighborhood to live that would be fun for a young 20's woman to live but not a horrible commute to tres cantos

3. not terribly expensive, but I'm willing to put in a few more bucks for better quality of life

4. any other advice for a soon to be ex-pat!

in an ideal world:

-i would love to have a lot of little local cafes and tapas bars around

-bike friendly if possible

-a somewhat close night scene (but not THAT close! I like my quiet too)

-near a park or place to exercise, possibly animal friendly (im CONSIDERING bringing my small dog up at some point if i can find a way to)

I know there of course will be things I'll have to sacrifice, but if you are familiar with the area and know of any neighborhood close to what I have mentioned, I'd love to hear you out! Thanks!!

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to live in Madrid for a commuter

hi.

Tres Cantos is covered by Cercanias commuter train line C-4, so anywhere close to a stop in that line will give you quick access to Tres Cantos from Madrid. I would be inclined to stay somewhere at a walking distance from either Nuevos Ministerios, Sol or Atocha stations. Some neighborhood/metro stops names: Cortes, Sol, Centro, Barrio de las Letras, Chueca, Malasaña, Tribunal, Noviciado, Huertas.

I guess #3 is going to be the most problematic one, as living in the city center is expensive (at least compared to living in the outskirts). It also depends on what you are used to, maybe Madrid is an overall cheap city for you. Check in www.idealista.com for renting prices. A studio/1bd apartment should be around 700 euros in that area. Sharing with other people is even cheaper, around 400/500 euros per month all included.

Good luck and have a blast in Madrid!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to live in Madrid for a commuter

Madrid is not a bike friendly city and there do not seem to be any bike lanes. The cars drive very rapidly. To use a bike you can go to a park like El Retiro, but I myself would not ride in the busy city streets.

New Orleans...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to live in Madrid for a commuter

Unbelievablely helpful. Thank you!!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to live in Madrid for a commuter

esmadrid.com/recursos/doc/es/Agenda/Deportes…

5. Re: Best place to live in Madrid for a commuter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 11:04
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to live in Madrid for a commuter

even tho there are bike lanes in Madrid, I would agree with Benny it's not a very cycable city. There are many cars, aggresive driving and not enough cycle lanes separated from traffic for having an effective network of lanes that will take you from where you are to where you want to be. No comparison with for example Seville or Barcelona, where there is an extensive network.

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to live in Madrid for a commuter

Info on Madrid's bikers scene:

enbicipormadrid.es/p/plano-calles-tranquilas…

8. Re: Best place to live in Madrid for a commuter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 05:17