We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
95 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Hi there,

I need some advice on prepaid sim cards in Spain as I'll be spending 3 weeks in Spain over the Summer.

I'll be using a smartphone, so hopefully... the prepaid sim card will include some data coverage, so I won't have to be stuck without data as I'll not have wifi for most of my journey.

Would be grateful for some recommendations and suggestions on the different prepaid sim card packages if anyone is familiar with this sorta thing.

Many thanks! :)

131 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Ditto - I bought an Orange one after being assured it would work at a cellular store in a mall, which was likely an orange franchise. Never worked. I took it to a proper Orange store and they told me it wouldn't work. Nobody would refund my money, so I ultimately contested the charge with the credit card company and they refunded my money. Bought Yoigo instead, and it worked spectacularly in Barcelona.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
993 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Agree. I spent Euro20 for a Yoigo pre-paid simcard for a business trip in November. Could not find a Vendor at Madrid Airport, but there was "The Telephone Company' next to my hotel.

It worked perfectly in Spain (even on the underground) and also in Portugal and Germany. As I was only using it for instant messaging and emails, the Euro20 was sufficient to use on roaming in Portugal and Germany without needing any top up.

Durban
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Just a correction on the info given on this post. There is no post office in T4 at the airport. I arrived at T4 and could not find it. When I made enquiries I was told that it is in T1. I bought a prepaid Orange Sim card at an Orange store in Puerta del Sol on evening of 5/12. They put it into the phone. Cost 10 euros. I topped up a few days later with another 10 euros. I used it to call landlines and cell phones out of Spain to South Africa. Very good connection and coverage.

marche
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Another good sim card in Spain is Yoigo. Only 7,26 Euro per month! 600 MB internet included.

It worked well and noticed that they didn't charge any roaming costs while flying to Amsterdam.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 21:48
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
11 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

At the moment, I'm somewhat disillusioned. The Movistar SIM-card, that I've been happy with for some years, was no longer possible to use (they told at the big place at Plaça Catalunya).

I went to a mall with a Carrefour store. There I was told they sold no prepaid whatsoever, regardless of what the store's internet site said.

Instead I found a desk for "Tuenti" at Fnac (Barcelona).

Price:

6€/1 GB

18€/3 GB

3€/300 MB

3cent/1 MB

However, if one uses more than 4 GB within 30 days, one is stuck with the two more expensive alternatives. And it turned out that I'm such a user.

:-(

These prices are illogical and it makes my pretty tired of the internet provider.

I'll spend plenty of time in Spain the next four months. Somehow, I'll have to find a solution.

Stay tuned!

;-)

Edited: 31 December 2013, 14:58
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
993 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Go to Yoigo or Vodafone....

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Im interested in Yoigo, and I think the offer of LA DEL UNO €7.26/month is still valid.

The question is, it says HDSPA+, will it work on GSM as I thought HDSPA+ is for CDMA phone

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Can anyone provide some guidance as to how much data is used with the Map function on an iPhone? I plan to use this for driving a total of 8-10 hours.

Thanks for any insight.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Depending on your smartphone your company option. At the time of my visit (January 2014) the only company providing temporary sim cards for iphones was yoigo. Movistar offered to cut a micro-sim but had no nano-sims. The plan I got from Yoigo was as follows: I had to load the phone with 20 euros. I got phone calls (around 10c for phone call) and 600MB of data. I did not find a plan with unlimited data. Once you reach the limit apparently speed goes down from 3G to EDGE. I have not reach that limit yet. Coverage is reasonable without being great. Enough for using google maps as a GPS.

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain

Thanks for the information. If you don't mind I have a few more questions.

Was there a charge for the sim card in addition to the 20 euros?

If you reach the limit, is there a way to top up while on the road to keep the 3G?

Is there any way to find out how much data maps uses for an hour?

Reply to: Prepaid Sim Card in Spain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted