We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha

We will be arriving at Charmartin station at 8:55 am from Segovia. We wish to take the cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha and connect with the AVE train to Toledo at 10:20 that day.

Will this be too difficult since we each have a carry on size suitcase ? Also can you give me specific directions on getting from Charmartin to the right Cercanias track and train heading to Atocha? Also when we get to Atocha, where do we go to get the AVE train to Toledo? Many thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,571 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha

Bailey:

There is a Cercanias train every 5 minutes from Chamartin to Atocha and it takes 13 minutes to get there. There is a ticket desk at Chamartin and they can tell you where to get the train to Atocha.

At Atocha the AVE train to Toledo leaves from the ground floor, on the left side.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha

Thank you for your help. Will we have a problem on the Cercanias train with luggage? I understand this can be a problem on the metro.

Bailey

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha

Is luggage a problem on Cercanias? Not if you can handle/supervise your luggage without help. If you need help, you should consider a taxi.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha

What I meant to ask is travel on theCercanias train safer than metro? I understand pick pocketing is a problem on the metro. Thanks for you response.

Madrid, Spain
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha

Dear Bailey,

The best way to commute from Chamartin Station to Atocha Station is by Cercanías.

Here you can see how the timetables work:

www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/

Uncomprehensibly I have not found a way to find this information in English.

Important to know is that at some peak hours – i.e. when people go to work early in the morning – it is a bit difficult to take the Metro with the luggage. Nonetheless here you find a map:

metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/docu…

By metro the way would be: Chamartín > Atocha Renfe (Line 1 – light blue)

Please note that there are two “Atochas”. Atocha alone and “Atocha Renfe”. This latter is where the railway station is located.

May you need further information please just let me know it and I would do the possible to help,

Kind regards,

Daniel

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha

344Bailey12,

We did the same commute as you last summer and it was fine. The Cercanias train did not seem as crowded as the metro and it makes fewer stops too.

Here's a map of Atocha station. You'll see that the AVE trains depart from a different level than the Cercanias. Cercanias runs underground ( Planta -1) and AVE departs from above ground (Planta 1 - page 4 on the map). In between is street level (Planta 0).

adif.es/es_ES/…plano_60000.pdf

Chamartin is a big station but it has one main hall - it's pretty easy to find the info for the Cercanias train. Cercanias platforms are on the left side, numbered from 1 to 10 etc.

Atocha, in comparison, is huge. The Cercanias and metro are on one side and the AVE is on another, with a walk of several minutes in between. Pay attention to the overhead signage and ask the attendants as you go. Look for the Tropical Garden (Jardin Tropical). The platform access is near it.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha

Thanks to all who responded to my question! You have all been a great help. We leave a week from today-so excited!

8. Re: Cercanias train from Charmartin to Atocha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 06:18