We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices compared to other cities

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
471 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Prices compared to other cities

Hello,

I was just curious if anyone could compare how expensive Madrid is compared to Paris, London, and Geneva. I'm interested in going to Spain because it is the only city in Europe that I have yet to visit, and was wondering if Spain is as pricey as the most famous European cities.

I did a search for Hotels in Madrid and Ibiza and found the hotel rooms to be relatively cheap. It is a little more difficult to compare other travel expenses and I would appreciate if anyone could elaborate on what I could expect to pay for an average meal, taxi fair, entertainment, etc.

Thanks!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices compared to other cities

Madrid is cheaper than Paris, London and Geneva...Hotel rooms you have already discovered on your search.

Meals, without a whole lot of effort, you can get two course meal including dessert, table wine, etc for around 10E. Of course, you can easily spend 100E if you choose.

Taxi fare from airport to historic center around 20E to 25E. On the subway, it would cost you less than $1 if you buy a 10 pack of tickets.

Entertainment is all over the map, but I am sure that anything, bullfight, soccer, flamenco, clubs, etc. etc. are cheaper than the other cities.

It's a rather nice problem to have. You are still dealing with dollars it appears which will make prices seem higher.

I recommend downloading Maribel's guide to Madrid which will give you more on pricing. The website is: www.maribelsguides.com

New York
Level Contributor
860 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices compared to other cities

You can find much cheaper Hotels, food, & wine in Spain. I have found Madrid to be alot cheaper than say Barcelona for example. You can have the Meñu del Dia, Menu of the day for about 10Euros and save money. Museums usually have a free day or after a certain hour you can enter free. Check El Prado, Reina Sofia. the central part of city is very easy to walk around and not necessarily need taxi's or the metro. Be carfeul to reasearch the time of year to visit Madrid can be very hot in the summer. Look at marbielsguides.com or look at info from Rick Steve's spain.

3. Re: Prices compared to other cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 07:17