We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Madrid

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mdina, Malta
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One night in Madrid

Hey everyone,

I arrive in Madrid Barajas airport at 8pm in the beginning of July. I am leaving for Morocco the following morning at 9.50am, so just over 13 hours in the city. I am thinking I should be at the airport by 8.15am.

Do you think;

1. I should just find a hotel close to the aiport and stay there - the likeliest is Hotel Nuevo Boston (any other recommendations are welcome - the cheaper the better as I am a student).

2. Go into the city centre, stay in a hostel. Arrive in city at around 9pm giving me an evening to explore, and go to the airport in the morning. Is this worth it?

Money is a consideration, but I don't mind paying for a hostel in the centre and the added transportation costs, if people think I will be able to see something during the evening.

Any replies are supremely welcome!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,666 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Madrid

adscassia:

International flights require being at the airport at least 2 hours before the flight.

Yes, you can go downtown to taste Madrid. Good place to go would be Cava Baja:

…blogspot.com.es/2009/04/cava-baja-my-favori…

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Madrid

IMO, two recommended hostals on TA Madrid forum. Hostal Andriano with unique decor, lift to its floor, small bathrooms, and on very noisy street (Calle de Cruz). If noise is issue, ask for back room.

Hostal Gonzalo with traditional decor in larger rooms, large bathrooms on a quiet street. We've stayed at both, and my husband prefers one, and I the other. Both in general area of Plaza de Santa Ana...within walking distance of everything.

Mdina, Malta
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Madrid

So you recommend that we go into the city centre from the airport? Will we be able to walk around and see abit of Madrid (in a rushed manner) from around 9.30pm till midnight or something?

That is the main issue we are facing, whether it is viable to go into Madrid centre, or to just find a hotel next to the airport.

Mdina, Malta
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in Madrid

So we'll be there at 7.50am, from what I understand it'll take around 30 minutes to get to the airport from central Madrid.

We have just a few hours to see something in Madrid - maybe the town square or Cibeles?

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in Madrid

You don't say when you are traveling, but in the summer it's light until around 10 pm, and the night is still young. Yes, you will be able to walk around, see monuments, most of which will be lit once it's dark.

Starting at the Palacio Real the west side of the historic center, you can stroll to Plaza Mayor, then to Puerta del Sol, Plaza/Fuente de Cibeles....and then have a drink at the rooftop (azotea) of Círculo de de Bellas Artes 9Calle de Alcalá #42, Metro: Banco de España) or the terrace at the Ayuntamiento/City Hall, which used to be until rather recently the Main PO. These two buildings are right across the Paseo from each other.

If you're still up for a stroll, stroll back to your hostal which is in the general area or take a taxi. More walking...Plaza de Santa Ana in direction of your hostal and/or the railroad station of Atocha. From Cibeles to Atocha you will pass on your left, the Retiro Park, which I wouldn't go in during the dark and the famous Prado Museum.

(I should add Palacio Real is not near your hostal...From Hostal Adriano or Gonzalo reverse the order of walking or find all these on your map and decide your own order. There are places for snacks and people watching along the way.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 20:15
Mdina, Malta
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in Madrid

Thank you for this!

I will be arriving in Barajas airport at 8pm, in the beginning of July, so in the beginning of Summer, with just carry on luggage. This convinced me to book a central hostel and spent at least 2/3 hours walking around Madrid, at least seeing something, as opposed to spending time at an airport hotel.

My flight in the morning is at 9.50am, so leaving the hostel at 7.30 should be a good bet to arrive at the airport by 8am with the metro.

Do you recommend a hostel around the Plaza de Santa Anna area? Is it also convenient to go to the airport in the morning?

Thanks very much for you help, just a little bit more information and I'll be done annoying you hehe!

If you are ever going to Malta, and need help I will look out for questions.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night in Madrid

On this same thread you will find two recommendations I made for two hostals, which are small family hotels, each an upper flat in a bldg. Also both have elevators to their floor. Read their reviews on TA B y B or..

Here they are:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187514-d239056…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187514-d264232…

Also see my post above re: these two hostals.

You're welcome. Happy to help.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night in Madrid

Hello adscassia,

You have such a short amount of time, why don't you just stay up all night? I keep thinking, why bother with a hotel room? Check your luggage somewhere and go enjoy Madrid in the warm summer night. There will probably be lots and lots of activity into the wee hours of the morning, especially if you are there on a weekend. You have so few hours, that it seems to me that experiencing Madrid will interfere with your sleeping, or your sleeping will interfere with experiencing Madrid. When you have had enough, go back to the airport and nap in a chair for a while until you can check in, and then nap for a while more until your flight leaves.

Madrilenos, what do you think of this idea?

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night in Madrid

That is an idea. The traveler is only coming from Matla so will not arrived exhausted with jet lag. And Spirit's point is well-taken...Madrid will not fall asleep before you do. There will be something to see, do all night long. If you do stay until dawn, find a churros and chocolate place (see my avatar) as a early breakfast. Check luggage at airport...and go. Sounds like a perfect student plan.

10. Re: One night in Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 06:18