We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

Are there any attractions I should reserve tickets to in advance? We will be in Madrid June 30-July 4, 2013. We have flights and accommodations (Westin El Palace) prearranged.

Thanks so much,

Arlingtonman13

Madrid, Madrid...
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

Not really, you could buy in advance tickets for the museums in order to skip the line, but you can buy the there as well.

Entrances for the Prado Museum: museodelprado.es/en/…ticket-sales

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,832 posts
3,571 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

Arlington:

If you are at the museums at 10 am the line is short and you will not have to wait long.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,822 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

We got the 3 ticket combo at the Thyssen; there was no line at all on a Saturday mid day -- this museum which is terrific does not appear to have long lines. We now have our tickets for the Prado and Reine Sofia and don't have to worry about lines there.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

The Paseo de Arte combo lets you go to the head of the line. We have never purchased this in Madrid because we figure we know the system, the hours, etc. and only book in advance for special exhibits. HOWEVER, there is another consideration for the Prado. If you qualify for any of the special categories, over 65 (1/2 price), students 18-25 and students under 18 (both of these last two categories are free), we have found it advantageous to order online (extra cost of 1 euro/paid ticket...nothing for the last two categories) Then when you get to the Prado, you will be in the a line different and usually much shorter than those who buy the ticket for that day.. Obviously, you should be ready to produce proof, but sometimes they don't take the time to do this so your wait in line is shorter for more than one reason. A disadvantage to advance purchase is you must declare your day and time upon purchase.

However, we have used the Art Pass in Paris (don't remember what it's called there) because we weren't so sure of the lay of the land, and we really liked being able to go to the head of the line. No problem.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,822 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

we are over 65 but for us the savings of the 3 ticket deal made is trivial to want to risk lines to save a few more Euro -- buying it ahead as suggested above is of course a good idea, but it is only costing us a little over 7 Euro for museum with the 3 ticket combo -- I am not that concerned about saving a few Euro more as a senior if it means I have to line up at the Prado. the cost is so little for these magnificent museums compared to entry fees for third rate museums in the US. and US first rate museums (except for the SMithosonian complex of course) are more expensive than these three wonders.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

For seniors with advance purchase at Prado...no wait...3-5 minutes? Reina Sofia no problem nor at Thyssen, but then that's why we say we know the the lay of the land. For a few more euros you got more perks, great. True, when people was to go at the free times, it's really not worth it. Prices have gone up in Madrid, but comparatively speaking, as you say....way below average.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,822 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

Well we have used the Paseo del Arte this week for the big three museums in Spain. What a disappointment (the pass not the museums which were stunningly wonderful) At the Thyssen we could just go in with the Paseo which they stamped after tearing off the voucher. At both the Reine Sofia and the Prado we had to stand in line to exchange the voucher for the ticket.

The special line for passes, Madrid cards and the like moved like molasses at the Reine Sofia -- so I stood 30 minutes while each individual transaction ahead of me took as long as 4 minutes (this in the express line) I could have gotten in free to this museum as a senior but paid for the pass because it was supposed to help avoid lines.

Same at the Prado. Pass holders have to stand in line to get tickets and cannot enter the 'ticketed' entrance until security a ticket with the pass voucher. So we paid twice what we needed to pay for entry i.e. blew 20 Euro between us for zero advantage.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

Thank you for sharing that, Janet. We always get senior tickets online. Those are not free. They are 1/2 price unless you are a disabled EU citizen.

BUT it is interesting the hassle you are put through for the Pass. Hate to say it but the same thing in Paris was just a pass...move on in, do not stop at ticket office. Glad we spent the money. Now we'll know the hassle the Paseo del Arte pass is....thank you to you!!!!

(I hope this gets passed to the powers that be at the museums.)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,822 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

at the Reine Sofia, it is free if you are over 65, or so it said on the sign at the ticket office. I had thought it was only a discount too. We planned this trip rather last minute and didn't get museum tickets ahead on line -- next time.

10. Re: URGENT! - Tickets to secure in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 07:17