We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tryp Chamartin Hotel & Surrounding Area

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Tryp Chamartin Hotel & Surrounding Area

I am doing a Spanish Spree Contiki starting 10 July and the Tryp Chamartin Hotel is the starting and ending hotel.

I fly into Madrid on the 8th I was just wondering if I should just stay at the Tryp Chamartin Hotel for convenience, or would another location be better off? Closer to the action?

What is the Chamartin area like? Where do most people stay in Madrid?

On the first day/night I am by myself & then the 2nd day before the contiki I meet my friends, so I sort of want somewhere I can walk to shops, bars, landmarks etc and meet people easily.

We also have 3 days after our contiki before we have to go to Athen's, would people recommend staying in Madrid or going to Barcelona or somewhere completely different like Morocco or Portugal - would this be too hard/rushed/expensive?

Also transfer from the Airport:

I am coming off a 24 hour flight from Sydney so I was just thinking of getting a Taxi to Chamartin which is about 14km from Airport. From my quick calcs using the info supplied from the taxi question I am looking at 18-20euro is this about right?

Would most recommend a taxi?

Thanks for your help

Brett

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,687 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tryp Chamartin Hotel & Surrounding Area

Brett:

The Chamartin barrio is known mostly for the Chamartin Train Station and the Bernabeu Futbol Stadium. It is mostly a residential area and it is a bit far from the sights. Most people stay downtown near the Plaza Santa Ana or the Gran Via.

A taxi will cost about 25 euros to your hotel.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tryp Chamartin Hotel & Surrounding Area

After a flight like that, I'd be inclined to spring for the taxi. Count on it being 25-30 with the airport fee and some traffic. I'd prefer the Plaza Santa Ana location to Chamartin as well. But if you're planning to take in the football stadium, perhaps the Tryp is more to your liking.

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tryp Chamartin Hotel & Surrounding Area

Thank you both for your responses. I have decided to get an apartment in the district of Chueca, this looks like a good place? Thought's as I have not yet booked it?

We also have 3 days after our Contiki which I think we will spend in Madrid or would people recommend spending this time in Barcelona? (note we stop at Barcelona on the Contiki).

If we do decide to stay in Madrid (which may be the case due to convenience) for the additional 3 days would you recommend the same area/town's for our group. We are from Sydney aged between 27-30 so we will be looking to relax after our contiki, sight-see, dine out & enjoy the culture and check out some pubs & maybe a night club.

Again thanks in due course for your response's, I can't wait for my adventure to begin in Madrid!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tryp Chamartin Hotel & Surrounding Area

Chueca is a terrific area to stay in. For what you're looking for it would be a perfect place for you. Barcelona would also fit the bill. Ask in that forum for the best area to stay in as I can't advise there, only having been a tourist there myself and not having lived there. I also love Barcelona and it may be since you are going to port there that it is more convenient for you. But it's also only a 2 1/2 hour high speed train ride to Madrid from Barcelona.

5. Re: Tryp Chamartin Hotel & Surrounding Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 07:16