We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid and Granada/Seville

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Madrid and Granada/Seville

I'm travelling to Spain next month. I have 4 days to spend between Madrid and Granada/Seville before i go to Barcelona for 5 days. Can anyone advise me on how many days to spend in Madrid versus Granada/Seville? And should I stay in Granada or Seville?

Thanks for your help.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,931 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid and Granada/Seville

Madrid has much to offer, and you can take a train excursion to the ancient capitol of Spain Toledo www.go-toledo.com

Train to Toledo and Barcelona www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index/html

www.madridtourist.info www.timeout.com/madrid

www.barcelonaturisme.com www.timeout.com/barcelona

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid and Granada/Seville

In other words I don't think you have enough time to visit Madrid, Seville AND Granada.

Keep in mind that you have 5 days in Barcelona (which is just enough time for this fantastic city), while only 4 to cover three cities that have as much to do and see as Barcelona (especially Madrid).

I would second Nurioopta's suggestion and stay 4 days in Madrid and maybe do day trips such as Toledo or Segovia, or alternatively focus on Andalucía and hence do Seville and Granada and skip Madrid.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 10:15
Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid and Granada/Seville

Keep in mind that it will be hot all over Spain in July, but it will surely be hotter in Sevilla and Granada. For example, this week Sevilla will be in the high 90's tides with Granada being a little cooler; Madrid will be in the low 90's with cooler temperature the rest of the week. July will only guarantee those temps. Well, nowadays, guaranteeing the weather is a dicey business.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid and Granada/Seville

The reason why I want to go to Granada or Seville is to go the Alhambra. Should I stay in Granada or Seville which city has more to offer?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid and Granada/Seville

4 days are a very short period if you want to cover everything , but I think you can do it if you squeeze your schedule and skip some places in each city . my advice :

Madrid - day one :

* start at the Real Palace . give it a max of three hours . next to it is the Almudena Cathedral .no need to see from the inside as it's very ordinary , though it' the church of the royal weddings .

* skip Plaza Espagna . it is a waste of time . not worth to see .

* from the Real take the metro to Gran Via metro stop . you get out of the metro station and you will be in the mid of the touristic areas . to your right hand will be Calle Montera full of cafes and restaurants . give your back to Gran Via road and go down in Puerta Del Sol direction . if you want a nice paiella restaurant I recommend Assado ( it will be on your left hand on your way down ) . then you will reach Puerta del sol . there you can wander between the shops . nice place for shopping . from there go onwards until you reach Plaza Mayor (about 10 minutes walk- ask for the directions ) . this square is one of the most beautiful charming squares in Europe . if it comes to me , I would rank it as higher than the Italian piazzas .

* from Plaza Mayor go back to Puerta Del Sol and go in the right direction passing by Banco Populare d'espagna until you reach the Gran Via road again . this route is full of magnificent buildings of beautiful architecture . continue until you reach Plaza cibeles (nice square) .

day two : excursion to Toledo . it is very nice .

By Bus . Continental buses connect Toledo with Madrid and run every 30 minutes. Buses start at 06:30, running until 23:00, and later on Sunday and public holidays. They depart from Mendez Alvaro Station at Madrid and arrive at Toledo's bus station .

From Toledo station, urban buses numbers 5, 61, or 62 stop on the street in front of the train station and take you to Plaza de Zocodover, the city center.

See

1 - The Cathedral

2- The Alcazar

3– Puerta Bisagra:

note : very recommendable to walk the whole way from puerta bisagra until Alcazar .

to be able to see both Granada and Seville you shall leave to Granada on day 2 (evening) .

day 3 : early to Granada

day 4 : Seville

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid and Granada/Seville

GRANADA

highly recommend to stay in Hotel Guadalupe . it is right across the street from Alhambra and the price is quite a bargain in such a beautiful area . we paid 105 euros for a triple room .

where to go . out of question is Alhambra . but keep in mind that it is better to purchase the tickets online on www.ticketmaster.es to avoid the over-long qeues in Alhambra ticket office. read the instructions of the website well . when you purchase your tickets online you will have to specify the half hour you will have to see the Nasrids Palaces section .

you can go to Plaza Nueva , a delightful touristic square full of cafes and restaurants . best time to visit is the afternoon and at night . interesting . the cathedral is worth a visit as well (with the royal chapel) . Alcaiceria Street is full of typical shops and souvenirs. Part of the former Arab Market. Worth a visit, and close to the Plaza Bip Rambla..

What I strongly recommend is the e-bike tour . it is one of the best tours I've ever taken . it starts from Santa Ana square (adjacent to Plaza Nueva) . the ebike tours will take you in a walking or bike tour . first the bus will take you up to the top of Granada and from there you will continue with the guide walking down . this tour is exquisite and a must to see Albayzin and Sacromonte areas , which of you go alone you will not know where to go what to do or where to start . you will see Albayzin area , Sacromonte area (gypsies and their houses) , and you will see Alhambra from the opposite mount in a beautiful view of the Sierra Nevada . All in all it is PERFECT . we bought the tickets at Granada bus station so we got a discount. their brochures are usually found in all hotels . if you take the tour. , I advise that you take it 2 hours before sunset . it is the best timing . our guide was Alessia . she was great . I recommend that you ask her to be your guide .

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid and Granada/Seville

SEVILLE

1 - the cathedral area is very beautiful .

2 - see Alcazar .

3 - Plaza Espagna is extremely wonderful .

note : Seville is beautiful at night . make sure to see the cathedral area at night again

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid and Granada/Seville

If you really, really have to see the Alhambra, then fair enough - but you are giving yourself no time at all to appreciate the beauty of Seville, especially, with that very tight time schedule. There is so much to see there and so many areas to walk around. If you do decide to go, then stay in Seville and maybe take a day trip to Granada.

Is there, perhaps, any way you could steal a day from Barcelona? Any extra time spent in Seville would be so worth it!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid and Granada/Seville

jaybee is right . you can take out one day from Barcelona

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Madrid and Granada/Seville