We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best district to stay in Madrid?

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
What is the best district to stay in Madrid?

Hi All,

Myself and my four friends - all girls are planning a trip to Madrid this summer for a long weekend.

It is our first time to visit Madrid so can anyone tell me what is the best district to stay in the city?

We are hoping to rent an apartment, we would ideally like to be located very central - close to all the main tourist attractions, shopping areas, restaurants and bars.

Can anyone give me advise on the Plaza Mayor neighbourhood or Chueca district, would either be suitable to what we are looking for? Or can anywhere recommend anywhere?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best district to stay in Madrid?

"Best" would depend on what you are interested in. Are you interested in expensive shopping, quiet, dignified area at night? Then, you want the area of Salamanca. Does an alternative life-style and novel shoppig and entertainment interest you? Then you want Chueca. Plaza Mayor is more central in the historic center but less close to the museums. We happen to prefer Huertas, which is nearer the three art museums.

Check out this link which is one of the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. Within this link there are three other helpful links.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c112916/Madri…

Madrid, Spain
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best district to stay in Madrid?

Anywhere central is good

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best district to stay in Madrid?

cathy:

For me the best district is the Barrio Salamanca, where the rich people live. There is very good security here and no prostitution is allowed. You can walk at all hours of the night and you will not be attacked. The area is quiet at night.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best district to stay in Madrid?

It seems to me that you are interested in nightlife. Huertas (around Plaza de Santa Ana) would be one of my first thoughts. Chueca is a very lively, soho-like district full of nice people and great bars (this is one of most popular Madrid's gay areas). I also enjoy Malasaña a lot.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
20 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best district to stay in Madrid?

Hi! it really depends on what you are looking for. I would generally recommend staying in the center of Madrid if you want to be close to everything. Note that within the center of Madrid, most places can be reached on foot in less than 30 minutes. My personal preference is arround Huertas/Barrio de las Letras, which is very central, yet not as hectic as Sol/Plaza Mayor/Chueca. Barrio de las Letras has plenty of restaurants, bars, and boutiques (particularly vintage furniture and home decoration), and it is very close to the 3 main museums, Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen.

Barrio de Salamanca is very nice and more upscale, and it has the most luxurious shopping, but it is more quiet at night and further away from the sights. But if you don't mind Madrid at night, then Salamanca is a good choice, but I still prefer the center of Madrid, since it's much more vibrant!

6. Re: What is the best district to stay in Madrid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:16