We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which neighborhood in Madrid?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,091 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Which neighborhood in Madrid?

I will be going to Madrid soon for work - probably staying about 4 nights - and am looking for recommendations for which area to look for hotels. I have been to Madrid before, and I speak passable Spanish, so I don't need to be on the main tourist/visitor track. I will be visiting clients whose offices are on the north end of Madrid, north-east of Chamartin (Avenida de Manoteras), so I am looking for a neighborhood that isn't too far of a commute on the metro and has interesting restaurants and bars and places to walk around in the evenings.

I have stayed in a hotel very close to the offices before, but this area is pretty much just office buildings and residential - not much going on at night. It is easily accesible by public transport, but I had to leave the neighborhood each night to get dinner or even to see anything remotely interesting. I would prefer to stay in a busier area where I can walk or take a quick ride on the metro to get dinner and have a drink or two.

I have also stayed in the Plaza de Santa Ana area, which I really liked. It was great to be able to basically step out of the hotel and have things right there. That was a bit of a commute to get to and from the office each day though since it is basically on the opposite side of Madrid from my clients' offices.

So I'd like to find a happy medium - a neighborhood that has bars and restaurants, people out and about, etc. but is still relatively close to my clients' offices so that I don't have a long commute. Any ideas? Recommendations?

India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which neighborhood in Madrid?

I am not too sure about the directions, but I heartily recommend Hostal Oriente, bang opposite Opera Metro station. It is reasonably priced and food/ drink/crowd is a staircase away!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which neighborhood in Madrid?

November:

You come from my former hometown of San Jose!

I always stay in the Hotel Melia Galgos in the Salamanca Barrio because it is upscale and very safe, with no prostitution allowed.

Across the street is Restaurante Jose Luis, at Serrano 89, a very good restaurant that is also famous for its tapas. There are many good restaurants in the area.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,091 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which neighborhood in Madrid?

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I am looking forward to visiting Madrid again.

ODR
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
256 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which neighborhood in Madrid?

Hi november_moon,

I perfectly understand your complaints about Av. Manoteras area, I live quite close and it is the last area I would like to be alone in a summer evening!!!

I would recommend you to try the area between Nuevos Ministerios and Santiago Bernabeu metro stations, it is a business area, but it will be busy on summer evenings with some afterwork and the Castellana terraces.

You can get your office in less than 30 minutes on metro or getting the 150 bus line.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
344 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which neighborhood in Madrid?

Or Tetúan. I mean some stop in Metro 1 along Calle de Bravo Murillo. NW of #4. Or Recoletos via faster Cercanías. They might be checked by Google streetview by yourself. Or how about post it on the Spanish forum?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which neighborhood in Madrid?

Costa Rica St. nearby metro Colombia is a lively area.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
344 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which neighborhood in Madrid?

www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/

Origen : Fuente de la Mora

Destino : Sol

givies as short as 16 min. Does this really matter? If not, you can still enjoy Santa Ana area via Sol station using RENFE Cercanías.

renfe.com/viajeros/…madrid.html

metromadrid.es/export/…Planomayo2013.pdf

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,091 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which neighborhood in Madrid?

Thanks for the additional recommendations.

ODR - yes, this area is a little out of the way, isn't it? LOL. Last time I stayed there, I was with a colleague, so it wasn't so bad walking back to the hotel after dinner, but I wasn't really looking forward to walking on my own. Plus just a long ride on the Metro and a walk at the end of the evening is sort of a buzz-kill :-)

9. Re: Which neighborhood in Madrid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:19