We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

Hi all,

I am planning a trip for two to Madrid from 8 to 10 Aug. I have received plenty of great advice from the Barcelona travel forum and hope I will be able to get the same insights here.

Will appreciate if I could get some comments on the feasibility of this itinerary:

8 Aug, Thu

0925hrs - Arrive Madrid from Barcelona/Check into hotel

1100hrs - Visit Almudena Cathedral

Palacio Real

Sabatini Gardens

Spain Square

Temple de Bod

Taxi to Plaza Mayor for dinner

9 Aug, Fri

0800hrs - Breakfast and walk through Retiro Park

Prado Museum (will get a guided tour)

Plaza de Neptuno

Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum (will get a guided tour)

Plaza de la Cibeles/Cibeles Fountain

Alcala Gate

10 Aug, Sat

0900hrs to 1700hrs - Guided day trip to Segovia or Toledo

Evening - Head to airport for 2200hrs flight to Singapore

My friend and I would like to see a Flamenco show on one of the evenings. Based on the places we're heading to, could I get some advice on the best place to do so?

Cheers and thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

Adelylt:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c84779/Madrid…

I think you will enjoy any of the flamenco shows.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

Thanks Benny Malaga.

Anyone else on the itinerary or any better ways to save time? :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,061 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

The cathedral is IMHO opinion not worth the time on a short visit to Madrid. it is comparatively modern and holds little aesthetic or historical interest. A really stunning church not far from there is San Francisco el Grande which is now a museum and short tours are offered continuously.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

I might walk from the Plaza de España to Plaza Mayor. It's about a 20 minute walk but it's very nice and lets you get a feel for the Centro. Templo de Debod is interesting but not one of my "must sees." Personally I would prefer the walk to it.

Additionally I would choose the Prado over the Thyssen (and certainly not both in the same day) although I do love the Thyssen. The Prado has so very very much to see that to do it justice takes time and if you do it right, you'll be too tired for a second museum, and definitely on overload for such a wonderful one as the Thyssen.

You don't need to do a guided trip to Toledo or Segovia as with a good guide book you can do them both on your own, but if you've already booked one or have one in mind you can go that way. They are rather different. Some people prefer Segovia and others Toledo. I am in the Toledo camp, but I am a big history person and so it appeals especially to me.

Lastly I will agree that the Almudena is not really worth it, although the crypt is fascinating and I would substitute out that for the Almudena, or alternatively would go to San Francisco el Grande as has been suggested. Personally, I'd prefer the crypt as it has its own traditions and I find it to be quite beautiful.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

Wombat 1223, I'm a history buff AND history major back in college. But in th

Edited: 07 July 2013, 17:29
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

Sorry, hit the "submit" button too soon.

Was going to say, I'm a history buff AND history major in college. But in this case, I think I may just go for Segovia rather than Toledo due to the weather. I hear it gets really, really hot in Toledo in the summer and I don't relish getting baked in the sun while on holiday.

Do you think I'll be able to squeeze in a visit to the Thyssen on my first day?

Thanks!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

Toledo is very hot in the summer (we first visited in August and it was scorching) but it is a dry heat which will feel different from Singapore at the least.

You might be able to fit it in on that first day if you started with it. Dinner in Spain is a late affair (think 22:00 and later) so it's not impossible to do quite a bit in one day. It would be quite a full day to say the least!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

Thanks for the feedback, Wombat1223.

I'll take dry heat over humidity - though if I had a choice, I'll prefer not to take any form of heat. I studied in Chicago, so I say give me a blistering winter over a sweltering summer any day. ;)

Will rework the itinerary and post again. Thanks for the feedback thus far!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

I too studied in Chicago so I know from whence you speak! LOL! But I do find that Madrid and Toledo are much more tolerable as heat goes than where I live in the Southern US or even where we recently were in China (Southern China) which is quite quite like where I live. We found that 100/40° days in Madrid felt so much better to us than a day in the 90s/30s in Virginia does given that Madrid is usually dry as a bone!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed - 3-day visit to Madrid and Segovia/Toledo

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback so far. I have attached an updated itinerary just for Madrid; appreciate if you could comment on its feasibility.

8 Aug, Thu

0925hrs - Arrive Madrid

1100hrs - Visit Prado Museum

Plaza de Neptuno

Plaza de la Cibeles

Alcala Gate

Late afternoon at Retiro Park

Return to hotel for rest

Late Dinner and Flamenco Show

0900 hrs - Visit Thyssen Museum

Afternoon - Cab to San Francsco el Grande

Palacio Real

Sabatini Gardens

Spain Square

Walk to Puerta del Sol

Dinner at Plaza Mayor

Just thought I'll make it clear that I'm starting with Prado and my hotel would be in the area. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions on how to make this better.

Thanks again!