We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

We're a light packing couple in our 30's, we planned to be in Spain for 2 weeks, this is our rough itinerary. Just wondering if this is might be a bit too much travelling between cities and booking 5 separate hotels, thanks for the feed back.

Arrive in Madrid, stay for 3 nights

Train to Cordoba and stay for 2 nights

Train to Sevilla and stay for 3 nights

Train to Granada and stay for 2 nights

Train to Barcelona and stay for 3 nights and fly out.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

Meovu:

If you have the energy, then your itinerary is okay. For train travel read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Also read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and book early.

In Madrid you may want to do a day trip to Toledo or Segovia. Read the top questions on the right panel about these day trips.

For Barcelona read the top questions about the Sagrada Familia and the Palau de la Musica Catalana and book early.

A good hotel I stay in Seville is the Hotel Becquer, close to downtown.

los altos...
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

It is best to fly from Granada to Barcelona. Use Vueling Airlines. We took it in May and everything went smoothly. Morning flight was cheaper. Reserve ahead.

Sebina Hobson

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

Agree that the Granada to Barcelona train ride would be a pain. Save time and even $$$ by flying. BTW,

my bias is for train travel, but in this case (Granada-Barcelona), I , too, would recommend a well-known economy airline.

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

My family recently returned from a trip to Spain with a similar itinerary, except for 10 days and only 2 nights per destination. It was a bit busy, but we are generally used to moving around quite a bit. We were very satisfied by the large amount of sights we were able to cover and the unique culture and "feel" to each city.

In order to make some of the traveling easier (and only take trains), you may want to consider rearranging your itinerary. We went directly from Madrid to Seville upon arriving (sleeping on the 2.5 hour train ride probably helped our jet-lag), then visited Cordoba (30 min. train ride) and Granada (3 hr. train ride). We then proceeded to visit Madrid (3.5 hour train ride) and finally Barcelona (only a 2-3 hour train ride).

This way, the longest train ride is still less than 4 hours and you avoid an extremely long trip from Granada to Barcelona. However, one precaution: if you do decide to go directly to Seville (or Cordoba) upon arriving, be sure to book a fully flexible train ticket through Renfe - our initial flight was canceled, which moved our itinerary back one day, causing us to have to rebook that train leg without a refund.

Good luck with your planning!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

Thanks for all the advices!! The idea of flying to Barcelona is fantastic! I think I will modify my plan a lil bit now. I think we'll skip a stay at cordoba, and will do a day trip from Seville instead.

Madrid 3N (day trip to Toledo), then Sevile 3N (day trip to cordoba), Granada (2N), Malaga (2N) then we'll fly to Barcelona via Vueling air. What do you guys think?

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

Daytrip to Cordoba from Sevilla is terrific idea, but don't miss the Mezquita/mosque in Cordoba. The new timeline looks good.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

I see 3 nights in Seville are more than necessary . take one day from Seville and make a day trip fro Madrid to Toledo instead . Toledo is a masterpiece .

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

You could easily do Cordoba for less time and increase time in Madrid or Barcelona by also cutting a night from Sevilla. This would make it feel less hectic at the beginning and the end.

9. Re: Spain in October for 2 wks itinerary, not too much??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:17