We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrips that would interest kids?

new jersey
Level Contributor
145 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrips that would interest kids?

Hi,

We are in Madrid for 7 days and i would like to plan maybe 2 day trips in the 7 days. My kids are 14, 11 & 9. We plan on traveling by train. I have heard and read so much about Toledo but other than the cathedral and art museum is there anything of interest that would grab the kids attention? We aren't interested in visiting every church, every museum, historical buildings etc. I am looking for local culture, food, markets, local futbol, etc. The bioparc in Valencia sounds so cool but is there other things to do there too ?? I am just looking for something that is not historically daunting. your help is so appreciated!!!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrips that would interest kids?

I like Segovia as a day trip because the Roman aqueduct is so impressive. There is also a great castle, a cathedral, and a famous restaurant serving suckling pig, at the base of the aqueduct. My nephew who is taking Latin was especially entranced.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,662 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrips that would interest kids?

outtahereNJ:

I agree with Hilldale about Segovia. The castle looks very much like the one in Disneyland and that will interest the children. Segovia is the culinary capital of Castile-Leon and you can have great meals there. Read the top question about restaurants in the Segovia forum.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrips that would interest kids?

Kids also like Avila quite a bit (you can walk around the city walls). Aranjuez was also a hit with my son and a friend's son. The Palace there is fun as is the garden (the palace has a section on what the royal children played with). We also had a great time at Parque de el Capricho which is in Madrid but quite far out on the Metro. There are all kinds of weird parts to it like bridges, a hermit's home, a dining room built like a bee hive where the guests were surrounded by the bees, etc.

For more ideas check the last link to the right.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 15:37
4. Re: Daytrips that would interest kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:16