We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

New jersey
Level Contributor
224 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

I can stay at either the Westin or Ritz for the same price, but wondering which is the better choice. I know the Ritz might offer better service, but we don't want a hotel that is stuffy either. Is one of the hotels in a better location than the other? We want to be close to metro, restaurants, etc.

Any help in differentiating the two hotels would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

I usually don't recommend Maribel's Guides, but she really nails the comparison of these two. Photos tell the tale. If you'd love the photo of a room in Ritz, then you'd love that hotel. If not, the Westin is wonderful, too.

Ritz is a short walk across the street from the Prado while the Westin is a short walk across the street from the Thyssen, a longer walk across another street from the Prado.

http://maribelsguides.com/mg_madridhotels.pdf

See pages 34 and 36.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,494 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

Eric:

You can read what travelers have written about both hotels.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187514-Madrid-Hotels…

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,608 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

The Ritz is more sticky.

New jersey
Level Contributor
224 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

Thank you so much for the responses.

Holakjs - Thanks so much, I had never heard of the Maribel's guides. I really enjoyed reading it, as well as the pictures, thanks again.

I have read the hotel reviews in tripadvisor, but sometimes it is still a tough decision.

The Ritz might be a little stuffy, however, the service might be a little better, and the standard rooms appear larger than the Westin. The Westin is a larger hotel, which we tend to like, but the special rate we can get is for a standard room...which would be too small. I guess I'll do some more research, or see if I can get a larger room at the Westin.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,494 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

Eric:

The standard room (Doble classico) at the Ritz measures 30 square meters.

The one at the Westin (Deluxe) measures 29 square meters.

Not much difference.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

Erictravel,

The reason I referenced Maribel's Guide is that there was a very fine photo of the Ritz room. Not my style at all. Very formal, very stuffy, very antique....but on the other hand, if it's your cup of tea, enjoy. Asking me, I would prefer the Westin. Still very, very nice but not so formal, stuff or antique.☺

New jersey
Level Contributor
224 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

Thanks, Holakjs.....I agree, after seeing the room, the Westin seems to be more our speed.

When my wife read the Maribel guide, the Ritz was frequented by so many famous people, and was spoken about so highly....she was leaning torwards the Ritz. However, in the end, I think we're going to go with the Westin. I have read some reviews of people who have stayed at both hotels, but preferred the Westin.

Thanks so much for the responses.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

Both hotels have a long and storied past. It's basically a matter of taste since they are rather near each other and are basically the same caliber of hotel. If you're drawn to the Ritz, go with your gut. It won't steer you wrong in this instance. You can't really go wrong with either hotel.

New jersey
Level Contributor
224 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

Thanks so much for your responses, we decided on the Westin.

Your advice was really appreicated.

10. Re: Madrid Hotel help - Westin or Ritz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:18