We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid Airport Connection

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
147 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid Airport Connection

I just booked a flight to Madrid on USAirway. It arrives at MAD at 8:15AM. I'm thinking to book a flight to Barcelona on Vueling that departs at 10:00AM on the same day. Will that give me enough time to go through passport control, cumstom and then check in at Vueling? I hold a U.S. passport.

I'm also thinking to book a flight to Paris on EasyJet. But it departs MAD at 9:30AM. Would that be feasible at all?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid Airport Connection

Plan a minimum of 2 hours between flights and ideally more. Flights can be delayed due to weather or any reason. And USAir is especially bad with their on time record, I believe (does anyone have stats on that?). In addition, you can come into Madrid and fly through customs and immigration or you can wait an hour or more, there's never any telling. Treat yourself right and at least give yourself 3 hours or more.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
147 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid Airport Connection

Thanks, Wombat1223. I was researching online and found the similar info from earlier posts. I'm actually planning on ride train to Sevilla from Madrid after we land. Would roughly 3 hours be enough to go through passport, custom, and travel from the airport to the train station?

I checked USAirways record for this particular flight. On time rate is 68% and average delay time is roughly 25 minutes. Perhaps I should allocate an extra half an hour on top of evrything.

On a separate topic, if I have an AVE tocket, does Renfe still off free Cercanias ride to train stations?

I'd appreciate your information. Thank you again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,062 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid Airport Connection

You also have to transfer from terminal one to terminal four. for Vueling check in and security

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid Airport Connection

If you plan to take the train from Atocha to Seville, plan for 4 hours minimally. There can be hold ups anywhere along the line and it takes 1/2 hour to get from the airport to Atocha on the Cercanias line (which would be the easiest way to go since you're planning to take the AVE). Safe is better than missing the train since there are no refunds or rebookings on Renfe. You'd have to buy a whole new ticket and full fare at that.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
147 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid Airport Connection

Thank you again. Do you know how to take advantages of the Cercanias line to Atocha after we land in T1 at the airport? I'll book my AVE tickets to Sevilla before the trip.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid Airport Connection

You have to take the shuttle to Terminal 4. If you have a connecting code on your ticket you can use that at the electronic ticket machine at he entrance to tracks on the bottom floor of T4. If not or if you can't find it, there is a RENFE office right across from the entrance. Just show your AVE ticket and thy will give you a cercanía ticket.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
147 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid Airport Connection

bleen68, Thank you for your quick reply. How much is a cercanía ticket? Since this is our first stop in Europe, I want to make sure that I'll have enough Euros with me before I leave the States.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid Airport Connection

If you have an AVE ticket it is free. If not, it looks like from the web it is 2 € 15 but that seems too low. (The article was from 2011). If we have to pay we always take the exprés bus. Perhaps someone else has taken it recently and can let us know.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
147 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid Airport Connection

I checked on RENFE today for trains from Madrid to Seville on December 19. The last available time/price is up to 8:00 in the morning. Does anyone know if they are going to post the price for later trains on that day?

Thank you!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madrid Airport Connection

Chris:

Keep checking daily until your date comes up.