We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

Hello!

I've been trying to book my renfe tickets for a one way trip from Barcelona to Madrid for the past few weeks and nothing comes up, except two very long trains (9+ hours) with connections. I look at the day before mine and there are 10+ trains available but for my date and forward, nothing. I'm wondering if this is normal and there are really no other trains or if it's a renfe issue? Anybody had the same problem before, in which no trains were available at less than 60 days? I'm thinking this is a very popular route so I don't understand why nothing is coming up. The date I'm looking for is October 16th. By the way, some trains from October 15th and back were already available to buy at 90 days prior. I've been monitoring the site for a while. Please help!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

It's possible that the trains are sold out that week/end as that is pretty close to Fiesta Nacional. It's possible all the AVE trains are sold out. I see the fare that is available. It is a slow train to Valencia (regional) and then an AVE from Valencia to Madrid Atocha. I tried both the English site (which is abominable) and the Spanish site (which is also terrible but significantly less so than the English one). Both times I could only get that one 11:00 departure. So it would seem that that would be your option. You might want to fly if that is the case? Look at Ryanair (but be mindful they fly from Girona), Easy Jet, and Vueling, as well as the horrible but ubiquitous Iberia. I don't know that you will save time flying. But you might feel as if you had?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

Thank you for your answer. It's so odd that they would be sold out. First, I've been checking since 90 days out when they posted them and nothing else has been available since. Also, it's so odd that every day available for purchase after October 16th has the exact same issue. No trains other than the slow long ones. I wonder why and if they would post more trains later on. Do you know if whatever is posted at 60 days is all there is going to be and no more trains will be added? Thanks!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

Also, when I check on rail europe, several trains on that route for that day show up. But of course at a ridiculous price. I don't understand why renfe doesn't show them.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

Nor do I.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

Even on http://petrabax.com is not showing tickets for sale from the 16th October and beyond so it is "something" to do with RENFE.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 17:29
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

Yes, I had check that one as well Casa_Santo_Estevo. Thank you for your reply. I hope the fix the "something" soon. I really rather use the train than the airplane.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

In the copious notes about using the awesome and mysterious booking system of RENFE >>see right column and this short link

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

you will see that in Note 68 at some point the tickets are just not yet published when the timetables are changed over from Summer to Autumn. It seems that RENFE cannot just throw a switch to make those timetables (and prices) appear suddenly so it is a question of just checking again from time to time. The 62 days then becomes less.

Needless to say that the same kind of trains are running at the same kind of times as the week before on that day, and it is just that RENFE have not yet programmed the booking system. The special PROMO fare deals will not yet show.

The people who are advertising sales for the day that RENFE are not will presumably assume same FULL FARE prices and will be happy to take your money however I imagine that if you try this route you will find it impossible for them to take your booking as they will not be able to connect to RENFE.

I hope that this explains things.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

Cadiz_lover, thank you so much! That definitely explains why is not showing much after October 16th. Thank you for your feedback! I guess I'll have to check every day until something shows up.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 21:44
9. Re: Renfe tickets not available at less than 60 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 06:21