We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spain eating times

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
n
Level Contributor
210 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Spain eating times

I once read somewhere that Spanish people eat dinner at around 10pm and that restaurants are usually closed around 2pm to 5pm...

Is this so???

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
878 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spain eating times

Yes, especially in Madrid. But you can get tapas in bars when the restaurants are closed.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spain eating times

Not only in Madrid!

However, in all big cities you will find some restaurants, that aim their business at the tourist trade will open earlier.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spain eating times

The Spanish eat on a schedule which is quite different from the way people in Britain or the US eat. Breakfast is a very small meal: a roll and some coffee. Then around 10 am is a snack "tentempie" (literally, keeping you on your feet) of a small sandwich and a beer/wine/coffee. The large meal of the day is eaten at about 14:00 or so and is called comida. It generally consists of a salad/soup, a meat dish, a starch and a dessert (generally fruit) and a coffee and often comes with more wine or beer. Dinner is usually eaten late at around 22:00 but is not a huge meal unless eaten out at a restaurant. Or people might choose to have a few tapas around 21:00 or 22:00 and some beer or wine (a caña or a copa) and call it a night.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Spain eating times

Tentempié or 'desayuno a mitad de mañana' (mid-morning breakfast) around 10-11 am in a cafeteria. As wombat said, the word 'tentempié" reminds me to a tumbler doll :)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,318 posts
3,494 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spain eating times

Jennifer:

Restaurants at night open at 8 pm for dinner.

Yes, the Madrileños keep very late hours. You will always find a place that serves tapas when the restaurants are closed.

n
Level Contributor
210 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spain eating times

Thanks all for your replies....ok so i either eat around 2 or 8..

I mean would it be hard to find open restaurants at around 5 or 6 pm,, even fast food stores??

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
878 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spain eating times

We solved this by eating a big lunch and having a Bocadillo (sandwhich) from a bar in the early evening.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spain eating times

From 2-5 most shops (but not the places which cater to tourists or the big department stores like Corte Ingles or FNAC) are closed and from 4-8 most restaurants are closed. Any place that caters to tourists will be open and you can count on having pretty unremarkable food. You are best off adopting a Spanish eating schedule while in Spain. It's actually pretty healthy and it's also a great way to slow down and enjoy life as well.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spain eating times

I prefer tapas to sit down restaurant meals when I'm in Spain. Tapas bars are always open and not as heavy as the meals tend to be.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spain eating times

If you want the real experience then yes it's true. But the Spaniards are aware of American habits, so many tourist restaurants are open to eat at any time. Depends on what you are looking for...............