We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Us to Lisbon via Madrid

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
8 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Us to Lisbon via Madrid

Am traveling to Lisbon via Madrid. First, do I need to clear customs in Madrid? Second, is 1hr50 min enough time to make connecting flight from terminal 2 (land in terminal 1)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Us to Lisbon via Madrid

Frisbe44:

You do not need to clear customs in Madrid. Hopefully you must have checked your luggage to Lisbon before your first flight.

There is a free shuttle bus between the terminals every 10 minutes.

However in my opinion 1 hour and 50 minutes is not enough time to make your second flight because of the large distances between terminals and the huge size of the terminals. Also many flights arriving in Madrid arrive late for one reason or another, especially from the US.

I used to live in California and would fly from San Jose to New York City, Dallas or Chicago on American Airlines to Madrid and then have a connecting flight with Iberia to Malaga. Half of the time I would miss the connecting flight because the flight from the US would arrive an hour late. The good thing is that Iberia had many flights to Malaga during the day and I could take the next flight.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,603 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Us to Lisbon via Madrid

Although your luggage will clear Customs in Lisbon, you will have to go through Immigration (Passport Control) in Madrid as it is your first port in the European Schengen area.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Us to Lisbon via Madrid

Should you be flying on a through air ticket with Iberia or American airlines to Lisbon via Madrid, you and your luggage will be checked through to Lisbon; though you need to pass through immigration at Madrid airport.

Intercontinental flight transit time requires three hours.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 08:26
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Us to Lisbon via Madrid

I don't love that tight time frame. You will have to clear immigration in Spain as it's your first entry into the EU. Three hours is the minimum for a transit time. Barajas is a massive airport and immigration in Madrid is a bit notorious for being either lightning quick or painfully slow. If your flight is delayed for any reason you're bound to miss the connection. And some airlines (Iberia being the worst of the offenders!) are perpetually late.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,603 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Us to Lisbon via Madrid

>>You will have to clear immigration in Spain as it's your first entry into the EU.<<

It is nothing to do with the EU. The EU is an economic zone that has nothing to do with Immigration rules. It is the Schengen Treaty that has abolished border controls throughout most of Europe.

The UK and Ireland are members of the EU, but are not parties to the Schengen Treaty. As a result, there is Passport Control when travelling from mainland Europe to UK or Ireland. Conversely, Switzerland is not a member of the EU but is a party to the Schengen Treaty.

6. Re: Us to Lisbon via Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:18