We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using credit cards at gas pumps

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland OH
Level Contributor
163 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Using credit cards at gas pumps

In the states when I use my credit card, to get authorization at the pump I usually am required to enter my zip code. On an upcoming trip to Spain I will be renting a car and leaving Madrid for a couple of days. Has anyone had experience in using a credit card to buy petrol in Spain w/ a credit card....will I be asked to supply some information....and will I be able to understand the request with my VERY limited understanding of the Spanish language?

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using credit cards at gas pumps

I can't predict how well you'll be able to do with Spanish, but as I recall there are a lot of pumps that are not self serve and you can use those. We never had a problem using our card when buying gas. But we do speak Spanish. The card however, was never at issue.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using credit cards at gas pumps

no one will ask for your zip code in spain, but they can ask for your PIN code (the PIN code of the chip of your credit card). As most (all?) American cards dont have chips, they'll just realize that once you've shown your card or you tell them to swipe to use to bar code instead.

you may have problems with automatic payment machines in gas stations and everywhere else (for example, metro stations) where they require a chip credit card.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,822 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using credit cards at gas pumps

you will not be able to use a US credit card in the gas pumps. if you have a new pin/chip card, you might be able to do so, although it would also require that the card is recognized by the system which not all US pin/chip cards are -- but you will not be able to use magnetic strip cards at the pump.

this means you have to gas up when the station is manned and pay attention to your levels so you don't get caught short on weekends or at night when the stations are not manned. even during the day, it pays to gas up when you get to half a tank when you have the chance as stations may be unmanned during hours they are open as well (the clerk goes for lunch or takes a break or?) defensive gas filling is part of the gig when you drive in Europe with a US credit card.

4. Re: Using credit cards at gas pumps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:20