We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid to Bilbao

Highland Park...
3 posts
Save Topic
Madrid to Bilbao

My family is going to visit my daughter who has been studying in Bilbao. We fly into

Madrid and want to stay the night before we begin the 5 hour bus ride. So first I need

a hotel that is in Madrid close to a bus station so we can leave early the next morning.

Also how do we purchase the bus tickets and is there any lines that are better than others?

When we are coming home we are looking for a hotel not too far from teh airport but close enough to have a day and a half of sightseeing. Our flight will be leaving at 6:30am so something not too far from the airport would be great.

Any advice would be appreciated.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,489 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid to Bilbao

I believe that the bus will leave from Intercambiador de Avenida de América. This is a transport hub having connections by metro and bus and so can be reached fairly easily. There is also a bus running to and from the airport Number 200. See this page showing all transport connections at Madrid Barajas airport

aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuert…

So possibly a hotel near this interchange hub is best. Look through the hotel listings on Trip Advisor but one hotel which is not too far away is NH Principe de Vergara with reviews here :

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187514-d2069…

For buses maybe look at this site :

https://www.alsa.es/en

the tickets can be bought online however payment is taken using Pay Pal not Credit Card. Look at the various information tips on top right of the ALSA page.

Or you could look at MOVELIA

http://www.movelia.es/en/index.html

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid to Bilbao

What's this about the bus? Take the train to Bilbao. It isn't an AVE (high-speed) but the equipment is modern (no AMTRAK) and it's totally comfortable and clean. You can move to cafe car easily, etc. etc.

Look at this. I wouldn't recommend trips with transbordo / transfer...although we've done themselves ourselves with no problems.

https://venta.renfe.com/vol/buscarTren.do

Edited: 13 October 2013, 17:54
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid to Bilbao

Go to Renfe.es or Renfe.com. Plug in appropriate dates. The link I gave doesn't show the info. Sorry.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid to Bilbao

The bus to Bilbao leaves from an undergroung hub called "Intercambiador Avenida de América" (level -1).

Here's a hotel nearby the bus station:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187514-d231631…

Highland Park...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid to Bilbao

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,639 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid to Bilbao

Soccer:

The train is much more comfortable than the bus.

Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Winter Park...
Level Contributor
540 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid to Bilbao

soccermom:

if you do decide to take the bus instead of the train, the AC Avenidas de America Hotel is very close to the bus station. It is a Marriott chain as well, I stay there every time I'm in Madrid.

8. Re: Madrid to Bilbao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 07:19