We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

madrid and wine country

Hartford...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
madrid and wine country

Going to Spain for a week at Thanksgiving, staying 7 days. Landing in Madrid and want to travel through some of the wine regions. Any suggestions? should we rent a car, travel by train? would like to spend 2 days in Madrid. We arrive Tuesday am and depart following Monday, is it best to visit Madrid and then venture out to Rioja or other areas or do the reverse? what other areas are a must to see ( one of us has been to Spain before)

thanks!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,704 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: madrid and wine country

Thanksgiving is at end November so am assuming that our friends from Hartford Connecticut may prefer the hopefully (fingers and toes crossed) better weather usually found in Cadiz Province compared to the perhaps more colder or changeable weather in the Northern areas. But who knows what the weather may bring. Plus there are quite a few interesting places to visit when not sampling wines.

In Cadiz Province we do find quite a few wineries that make some good red and white wines often still using the famous Tempranillo grape so favored by Spanish wine makers. When I visit this part of the world I buy from a local octogenarian who has some fine red wine and let's me buy it for a very modest sum. It is as good as the typical Rioja wine except not matured in oak barrels.

I am constantly impressed with the amount of skill that goes into creating a good sherry wine and enjoy visiting Bodegas to taste. Not only in a Bodega.

Ultimately a visit to the wine country in Spain really depends on the desire to visit a particular region and to make some detailed plans accordingly. The Duero valley region is famous also for great wines and if in Madrid you normally will see the red wine choice as either Ribera which is Ribera del Duero or Rioja. Personally I am a fan of Ribera over Rioja.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,962 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: madrid and wine country

Myscreen; I am not trying to prove anything, rather I am trying to clarify the postings made and to help the OP

Posting a question on a forum means the OP is in need of some help. I try and respond with as many facts as I can, but generalizations are no aid to the readers of this forum.

I don't not understand why your postings seem to be aimed towards me rather some facts to help the OP. And to illustrate that it would have been helpful to add something like a link to the Sherry area's wine tourism website? http://www.rutadeljerezybrandy.es/

I have just glanced at some of the bodegas and not all are open every day of the week and at limited times, some only with a reservation. So hopefully if the OP now knows exactly what is what.

You know until you had pointed it out I would have never thought of visiting any wine maker where I could not see his land where he produces his product because, for me, it is all part of the experience.Obviously Jerez is different in that fact.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 13:59
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,704 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: madrid and wine country

Of course we can all stray off course in answering questions and until there is some feedback from the original poster then there seems little point for me to go into searching web sites for opening times and details such as how far is one bodega from another ! Plainly some further response is needed otherwise this nonsense could continue until the cows come home.

And am sure we all have better things to do with our time.

Hartford...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: madrid and wine country

Thank you all for your comments and information. I'm new to this so hopefully I am replying to all in one post. We are very early in our travel planning stages, and have no predetermined routes ... yet. I am grateful to know about the different types of wineries/bodegas. And after reading the posts will be sharing this information with my fellow travelers tomorrow evening. In my opinion, we would probably prefer experiencing production of Tempranillos , mixed in with enjoying the culture of the town or region. We are not stocking up our wine cellars but are looking for a Spanish adventure and good memories. We will most likely rent a car, and are not opposed to driving, however do not want to spend the entire time in the car traveling from place to place. If there are suggestions of great places to stay and eat in the smaller towns... I'd appreciate knowing that. Lastly, should we plan to stay in Madrid for 1-2 days to visit the sites and experience city life... if so any suggestions there? many thanks again to all

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: madrid and wine country

I will chime in with my 2 cents. I think they make great wine all over Spain. How can you go wrong with the Tempranillo grape? I think the wines in Rioja and Ribera del Duero might taste a bit better, but having said that, if you want "authentic Spanish adventure", then Andalucia (Cadiz, Jerez, Sanlucar, Sevilla) is going to give you all that and more. After that plan your next trip to Rioja and the Basque country. The summer and early fall are the best time for that trip. After that Galicia!!! where some of the world's best wines are made.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,704 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: madrid and wine country

Yes timing of visits according to seasons is important too.

As I said earlier the nicest Tempranillo wines for my taste come from the Duero valley and this is easy to reach from Madrid with hire car. Head for Aranda del Duero and also read through this interesting thread where some feedback has been provided especially by Trip Advisor members mnrich and masmad. I think it is worth reading especially if thinking of a tour. .

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187490-i383-k62…

Have stayed in the past at a Parador in small town of Lerma which is on the road north of Aranda on way to Burgos. http://www.parador.es/es/parador-de-lerma

Perhaps squeeze in a visit to Burgos further north but within reach and savor some Ribera here. The Laws relating to how to treat American natives after the discoveries were enacted here in 1512. A lot of water has flowed down the Duero since then.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,962 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: madrid and wine country

The further away from Madrid you wish to travel the less time you have for Madrid. Hence my original suggestions of wine areas near to Madrid.

By the way you are asking questions I take it this is your first visit to Spain, am I correct?

18. Re: madrid and wine country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 05:18