We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange, California
4 posts
Save Topic
transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

We will arrive around 6:30pm @ Madrid Barajas airport next week. What is the safest way to take from the airport to our lodging in Madrid since it might be getting dark. This will be our first time to go there.

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

Where are you staying? Metro will probably be the quickest and easiest way.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

take a look at the right hand side column Top Questions where you have a comprehensive list of mode of transports from the airport to the city.

6:30pm is not late by any standard in madrid (even if it starts to get dark) and madrid is a very safe place anyways, so you can use any of the above mentioned transports depending on where you are going, what you like, the number of luggage you have or how much money you are prepared to spend.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,011 posts
3,463 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

mimi:

I would take a taxi, which will cost 25-30 euros. You will be tired and will have luggage, so a taxi will be best. I would not try to save money on this.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

I would suggest you to take a taxi. it is a safer option. I recommend you to check the local taxi fares in Madrid. check out the following link if you need to calculate the local taxi fare, it will also provide the night timing fares and excess luggage charges:

http://www.taxiautofare.com/es/Default.aspx

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

After a long flight and when you are a first time visitor.... Taxi is the way to go.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

Well that depends so much on your background as a traveler: whether you are a well seasoned traveler, your age group, etc.

I never take taxis in Madrid except the odd ride when getting late to meetings and the like. The Metro is fast, efficient, reliable, and cheap. And by no means unsafe provided that you are aware of your belongings.

I travel a lot, and in European / American cities I do always go by public transport. In Africa, where I go most often, taxis are the norm (well they are building a metro train line in my base in Lagos, Nigeria, but considering how long did it take to build the first kilometer it will be ready by maybe 2400).

Edited: 18 October 2013, 08:13
Scotland
Level Contributor
206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

We recently flew into Madrid terminal 1. The metro leaves from terminal 2 (and 4 I think). It 's quite a long walk from 1 to 2.

There's a surcharge on the metro from the airport, so the fare is 5 euros. We found the metro safe at all times. Even late at night. You just need to use common sense I suppose.

The airport bus leaves from in front of the terminals and may be a preferable option for you. I understand it goes to the centre as far as Atocha station.

There are absolutely loads of taxis on Madrid. We didn't use one but they all look very well maintained and I'm sure would be a fine option.

I would conclude that any of the three options for getting to the city centre from the airport would be fine, it just depends on what firm of transport you prefer.

Edited: 19 October 2013, 20:22
Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

There is a fourth option, my favorite. Take the Cercanias to Atocha or Recoletos and taxi from there if necessary. Round trip about 5 euros. Cercanians (rapid regional rail) leaves from Terminal 4. Take about a half-hour to Atocha. No traffic jams (a problem with the bus during certain hours). If you take Terminal 4 to Atocha or Recoletos, there are no transfers needed as with Metro.

Use this link...for more details...look for "Aeropuerto - Terminal 4" and either "Recoletos" or "Atocha" for your destino/destination.

renfe.com/viajeros/…index.html

St. Petersburg...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

Tell me please, can we get from Madrid to Paris by night train? Throw a link, if not difficult

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,665 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation from madrid airport to hotel?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187514-i126-k69…