We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel confused

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel confused

Hello,

It's my first time in Madrid I'm going with my husband for New Years n then to Barcelona for my bday.

I was looking for hotels but so confused on which area or district to stay in Madrid

I want to go sightseeing n be near everything

Does anyone have any hotel recommendation please. Thank you

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,506 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel confused

May:

Plaza Santa Ana and the GranVia are close to downtown.

For upscale hotels, stay at the Barrio Salamanca. I usually stay at the Melia Galgos by Calle Serrano.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel confused

Agree with Benny. We prefer the Plaza de Santa Ana because it's nearer the museums and still close to the Puerta del Sol (very center of city) All major sights are within walking distance.

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel confused

thank u so much for ur help im going to check hotels in Santa Ana district. thank u

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel confused

I don't really care for the mad bustle and major mainstream shopping area immediately around the Puerto del Sol (except for the Oso y Madrono statue and La Mallorquina bakery). However that area is most centrally located. The Plaza Santa Ana is a great plaza for dining and also very centrally located and connects easily to the museum area and a great cluster of tapas restaurants in Las Letras via the C.Huertas.

I have stayed in Atocha/Las Letras area, Chueca (just north of where Grand Via and C. Acala intersect), the Opera area (near the palace and P.Oriente) and C.Cava Baja (La Latina/) close to Plaza Mayor. The central part of Madrid is not vast. All of those areas are reasonably accessible by walking, bus or sub It is about a 2km walk across town from the edge of the Retiro Park/ Prado area to the Royal Palace. There are outlying attractions like the Madrid Rio and Matadero Madrid to the South, the Ermita del San Antonio de Florida, the Centro Conde Duque, Museo Municipal de Arte Contemporáneo (still under renovation last time I was there) and the Museum of the Americas to the NW and a few things from Salamanca to Nuevos Ministerios to the NE like the Museo Sorolla, the Fundacion Lazaro Galdiano and the Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales. However if you want to go a little further afield the metro and bus system is easy to use (buses are a little harder for me than Metro but provide more options).

We actually very much liked staying on C. Cava Baja as it is our favorite street for drinking and dining and the Plaza Mayor and excellent Mercado San Miguel are just up the hill (maybe 200-300m), the Royal Palace/ P.Oriente (about 700m), and the puerta del sol (750 meters). It is not an unreasonable walk to the Reina Sophia, Caixa Forum and Prado (about 1.5km) or the top of the Madrid Rio (about the same). However you could make similar arguments for the other areas in which we have stayed. Each will be very close to some attractions and within two km or just about everything. Again the subway and other public transit make getting around very easy.

5. Re: Hotel confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 05:18