We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help, 7 days in spain

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary Help, 7 days in spain

Hey,

My wife and I are flying into Malaga Spain in late april/early may and fly in sunday afternoon. From there we plan to rent a car and make our way to madrid and return the car there. From Madrid we will plan to take the train to Barcelona where we fly out the following Sunday.

Here are my questions, how many nights should we do in madrid and barcelona each?

Where should we stay after arriving in Malaga? I guess the number of days we take to get to madrid depends on how many we stay in barcelona and spain. We love food, culture and exploring. When we travel we start early and end late so we usually can do a lot in a day without getting too exhausted. Along the route to spain, would love to know of a good beach or coastal town to stop by en route to go for a swim or hang out by the beach (i know it will be out of the way).

Once I get the days set on the itinerary I can start build the daily itinerary and find hotels...

Thanks

Dave

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help, 7 days in spain

Dave:

With only 7 days, you could do this:

2 days - Malaga

3 days - Madrid

2 days - Barcelona (I think you should add one more day here for a total of 8 days).

I would take the fast train instead of driving from Malaga to Madrid. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Here is some info about Malaga:

Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and has beaches, plenty of sunshine, and one of the best climates in Spain. It is also one of the most beautiful and relaxing cities in Spain, and 100% Spanish. Malaga has 14 museums (among them Glass and Crystal Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum, Automobile Museum, and the two Picasso Museums), historic churches (four founded by the Catholic Kings), and monuments that include two castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro). The sights are mostly downtown and completely walkable. There are very good restaurants, tapas bars, and nightlife. Shopping is wonderful and the city is very safe. The Malaga Park is very large semi-tropical park and beside it is a new park called the Palmeral de las Sorpresas at the port. Muelle Uno is a new shopping/restaurant complex at the port. There are about 1000 buildings from the 19th century downtown, one of the largest and best conserved collections in Spain.

The natives have the great charm of Andalucia and are among the most friendly people in Spain. It is easy to do day trips to the white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, since Malaga is the transportation hub of its province. Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities. One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

Good hotels:

5-star: Vincci Posada del Patio

4-star: Hotel AC Malaga Palacio – The rooftop restaurant is a romantic place during twilight with a great view of the port.

4-star: Hotel Molina Lario – The hotel restaurant Café de Bolsa is a very good restaurant.

3-star: Hotel Don Curro

The Restaurant El Pimpi at Calle Granada, 62, has Andalusian decoration and music and one can have tapas and try Malaga’s sweet wine here. This is the restaurant that celebrities are brought to. Movie stars and members of royalty have all been here.

Malaga was named by Trip Advisor as the 7th best destination in the “Traveler’s Choice 2013 – Top 10 Destinations of Spain” list.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help, 7 days in spain

With 7 days I would spend them all in Andalucia if you've never been to Spain. Seville 3 nights, Granada 2 and Malaga 2. It really does not make sense to fly into Malaga and drive to Madrid and then on to Barcelona in 7 days.

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help, 7 days in spain

Im from Spain. Barcelona is too far. Id stay in Andalucia: Seville, Granada and Cordoba. And perhaps a tour to andalusian white towns. April-may is the best time to visit Andalusia. 7 days is perfect.

-Seville: 2 days

-Granada : 1-2 days

-Cordoba: 1 day

Barcelona and Madrid are too big and busy cities. No sense.

Mediterranean water is too cold in April, but you can stop in Marbella, near Málaga anyway

Edited: 19 November 2013, 19:19
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help, 7 days in spain

Hey, So my itinerary changed today, found out on of my flights booked changed times and I lost my connecting flight.

So, this is what we were able to get re-routed with out flight

Fly into Palma de Majorca, arrive around 1pm, and staying for two nights, leaving early in AM and flying to Madrid where we will have 3 full days. Then we will take train from Madrid to Barcelona and do two days in Barcelona.

Day 1: Arrive in Palma de Majorca 1pm

Day 2: Tour Palma

Day 3: very early flight to Madrid, arrive 0845

Day 4: Madrid

Day 5: Madrid

Day 6: Barcelona- We with either take the night train form day 5 to arrive am day 6, or take a early high speed train. What do you recommend?

Day 7: Barcelona

Day 8: Leave Barcelona around 10:00am

We decided that we will do southern Spain another trip.

Is there a night train that has private rooms, or is the bunk situation the only option?

Thanks

5. Re: Itinerary Help, 7 days in spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 05:19