We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another 40 hours in Madrid

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,235 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Another 40 hours in Madrid

We just had a lovely day in Madrid..sunny skies.....had breakfast at La Mallorquina on Puerta del Sol (that pastry shop at the end with the standing room area at ground level and the 'salon' upstairs). We saw Puerta del Sol and Plaza Major briefly....went to Mercado San Miguel, by Plaza Mayor which is worse than Chelsea Market (NYC) for crowds. Then we walked across to Paseo del Prado via a very circuitous route through an area called Embajadores... ......Reina Sofia is at the edge of it...we found a lovely dog park to sit in and people (and dog) watch.....

It was such a beautiful day that we went off to the Botanical Gardens - gorgeous autumn leaves - before spending the rest of the afternoon in Caixa Forum ...interesting architecture. Two exhibitions at the moment...Japanoise: The fascination for Japanese art and George Melies: The Magic of Film (the inspiration for the book and film 'Hugo'). The latter was so crowded but very interesting...so much new technology and inventive ideas...not just by Melies but many others....the highlights were the praxinoscope of a girl skipping and seeing some of his films, including the famous 'Man on the Moon' and a total eclipse of the sun that was quite bizarre in a perverse way.

We went out to dinner at an 'upscale' tapas place on Paseo del Prado...it was OK...some more traditional tapas, others just small serves of food to share being misnamed tapas .....sorry can't tell you the name, it's not on the receipt...but it's good if you're in that pocket of town and don't want Starbucks or Burger King.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,575 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another 40 hours in Madrid

Jenny:

I always ask waiters for the card of the restaurant so as not to rely on memory. Another way is to take the bill after you pay and that way you will also remember what you ate. I do this since I write a review for every new restaurant I try.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,235 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another 40 hours in Madrid

Benny, I have the bill, and as I said in my OP, the name is not on it.

Interestingly, we actually tried to go to Frank, but it was full so the owner of that place recommended this other place. He had to forage for the name too and had been there more than once. I even tried Google Maps to find the name to include it in this thread, and even tho' the place has been there 6 years it wasn't on the map.

Anyway, it is just down from the Westin and has white fans decorating the wall and ceiling...it's easy to find, right opposite the Prado and doesn't take bookings....

Edited: 24 November 2013, 05:35
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,235 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another 40 hours in Madrid

my friend had written the name down...Estaro Puro

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another 40 hours in Madrid

It's "Estado Puro" actually, thought it might be that one from your description, it's part of the NH Hotel. ;-) I went to a really traditional restaurant on the Paseo, not far from the Thyssen Museum, it was called Cafeteria Hotel Mora. They do lunchtime set menus for EUR12.50 (cheaper still if you eat at the bar), bottle of wine thrown in as well! Nothing too fancy but good value for money, friendly service, helps if you know a little Spanish as I don't think they have an English menu. I'm jealous you got into La Mallorquina, there was no room upstairs when I wanted to go! :(

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Another 40 hours in Madrid

What's buzzing in town, the latest eats and drinks:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,235 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another 40 hours in Madrid

We're heading off now, after a long half day at Reina Sofia......mainly to see Guernica, but also enjoyed a lot of the other works there too...and the building and the garden it surrounds....

Then we went back to Caixa Forum for lunch....18.5 euro fixed price, 3 courses, very good, postre was especially so ....yogurt y mermelada ..and red fruit....light and flavousome....gorgeous room....

If you want to see the 'big 3' museums the Paseo del Arte ticket is handy, especially if you come when there are long queues..this helps avoid them.

7. Re: Another 40 hours in Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 05:17