We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trickster/scam/theft method Madrid/Segovia

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
trickster/scam/theft method Madrid/Segovia

This might probably be a new methodology of theft. This happened to me in Segovia.

While I was admiring the San Jose Convent Segovia, a man passed me and suddenly both I and him (of course I got the brunt of it) got splashed with what appeared to be bird-droppings. We immediately looked skyward and he exclaimed bird droppings and offered to assist in cleaning my stained jacket and also vocalised that the camera hanging round my neck was also contaminated. He brought me to a nearby running water tap at the quiet (at that time) park. I had to put my camera and backpack down, removed my stained jacket and bent down to wash my face. I suddenly realised a man passing behind us and immediately got up to see my backpack and camera in his hands. Fortunately I raised my voice and he returned my things to me under the pretext of wanting to help me clean my camera.

So watch out for these two dark-looking gentlemen.(not blacks). Help me to bring them to justice - I thank you.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trickster/scam/theft method Madrid/Segovia

Wow! You are a trusting person. This general scheme has been around for a while..particularly the bird droppings part of it. Now you've learned a good and relatively painless lesson. Don't be so accepting of help

from strangers...esp. when you don't need it. I should add regardless of skin color, etc.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trickster/scam/theft method Madrid/Segovia

Thank you for your advice Francis. As you come from Singapore you may not have realised that whilst we in the 'free' West may balk at the idea of chewing gum being illegal we still moan about disfigured pavements wherever we go, however in Singapore you have cleanliness and personal courtesy.

I'm not sure that it's helpful to suggest everyone should surrender to the view that no-one can be trusted. A cursory look in the Barcelona Forum shows the opposite is the current norm there - anyone who dares suggest there may be a serious street crime problem gets short shrift!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
900 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trickster/scam/theft method Madrid/Segovia

Thanks for letting us more naïve travellers know. Sharing helps the rest of us avoid these incidents.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trickster/scam/theft method Madrid/Segovia

Yes, thank-you for sharing. reports like these do help spread the word and help other people avoid these scams. While this scam has been around for awhile and is fairly common in some parts of the world, it is good to share experiences, not everybody knows about them.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trickster/scam/theft method Madrid/Segovia

This bird droppings scheme has been around for a while.

Sad as it may be,I have learnt over the years to be wary about unsolicited help from strangers...

6. Re: trickster/scam/theft method Madrid/Segovia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:17