We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

handphone theft on metro

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
handphone theft on metro

People tend not to disclose their misfortune.

You would have read about my "lucky" bird dropping experience.

But all is not rosy. I had the misassumption that Barcelona was a place to be wary and I was very pleased to have come away from Barcelona unscathed. My family (2 adults 2 children - 16 and 12) went through 10 peaceful days (Barcelona, Seville, Granada, Cordoba, Lisbon and Fatima). Probably that was why my guards were slightly down. Madrid was our last leg before flying home.

Took the Metro from the airport to the city center. Had to change train at Nuevos Ministerios to go to Alonso Martinez at around 6 - 7 pm. It was real crazy. The minute we entered with our backpacks, I thought noone else could enter. But believe me - 10 more people rushed in and the door closed on this sardine-packed coach. I was uncomfortable and the lady in front of me sounded uncomfortable(could be a pretense. ::)) I could feel movements around my body.

Anyway that night my daughter realised her Samsung was missing!! When you are so close to oneanother, the other persons hand can easily feel your bag pockets and trousers/clothes pockets. And by a sleight of hand your pockets can be easily emptied when he/she feels something valuable.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: handphone theft on metro

Thank you, Francis, for the report. Unfortunately those subway pickpockets are very professional. Sorry to hear.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: handphone theft on metro

Sorry to hear that.

Sadly, is not the first time I hear from someone who "survived" Barcelona, just to find there are thieves elsewhere too. This is why most Barcelona regulars do not deny there is a big problem, as we are often accused to, but we just point that problem is not only there.

Thanks for sharing your experience and hopefully future visitors will be better prepared. These days Is not wise to carry anything valuable in easily accessible places, anywhere in most of Europe.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,060 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: handphone theft on metro

a backpack is a pickpockets dream and no outer pocket is ever a safe place for valuables.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: handphone theft on metro

Yes, pickpockets are a problem in Madrid too, unfortunately. And they know if you are comingfrom the airport that you will likely be distracted and have all of your valuanles on you.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,090 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: handphone theft on metro

Oh dear, what a shame. As others have already said, the busy hands are professional.

Also, it's really not since the pre-1914 days of the Empire that people carried such valuable items casually on their person (half sovereigns then, smartphones now), this gives the travel insurance companies problems.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: handphone theft on metro

If you were on the Metro with a backpack on your back, then you would have been a target. Here in London on the Underground people with backpacks are often robbed.

7. Re: handphone theft on metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 06:18