We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picasso's Guernica

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Picasso's Guernica

Hello.

We'll be in Madrid for a weekend and want to be sure that we see the Picasso Guernica. I understand that it's at the Reina Sofia museum -- but I'm not sure in which building. Also, if there are any special rules/closings, etc., all of that information would be appreciated.

THANKS

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picasso's Guernica

That information is all on their website. I was there on Wednesday and it was easy to find as the painting is huge--much bigger than I imagined.

museoreinasofia.es/en/collection/collection-1

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picasso's Guernica

I will add that you should keep your camera in your pocket as Photography is not allowed in this section of the Museum though allowed elsewhere.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picasso's Guernica

thanks. we saw it many times when it was at MOMA in New York. It will be good to see it again in its new home.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picasso's Guernica

I went to see it on a Friday afternoon, around 4.30pm and I actually had the painting to myself for a couple of minutes as it wasn't all that busy at that time.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picasso's Guernica

@Nicoleta: I'm curious if they had two security guards watching you. When I went, there was a guard seated on each side of the painting, looking directly at everyone who was studying the painting. There were probably 15-20 people observing Guernica when I went.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,524 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picasso's Guernica

Every time I have been to the Reina Sofia and took a look at the Guernica, there were always guards there to prevent photography and prevent damage to the painting. This is the jewel of that museum and there are some crazy people who want to damage the painting.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picasso's Guernica

I agree Benny. I've just never seen two for a single painting, positioned the way they are. Not even at the Prado for Las Meninas, or at the Rijksmuseum for the Night Watch..

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Picasso's Guernica

Hans, I excluded the security guards of course. Yes, they are in every room and they follow you round as well making sure you don't anything and don't get too close. ;-)

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picasso's Guernica

Nicoleta, I was referring to the guards who are sitting like lions at the gate on each side of the Guernica, not the ones that follow you. The ones that follow you are at every museum. It seemed surreal. Cheers.

10. Re: Picasso's Guernica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:17