We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

St.Julians-Malta
Level Contributor
816 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic

Are all museums/castles/Cathedrals in Madrid with paying entrances.

Thanks

Anthony Malta

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

Prado and Reina Sofia each offer free entry at select times (see their pages for the most up-to-date info). The Thyssen now has free admission on Mondays, from 12:00 to 4pm. Not sure if that's permanent.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

there is only one Cathedral in Madrid (as in any city) and it is free entry -- it is also unusually uninteresting for a Cathedral in a major city

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

The main floor of the Cathedral is uninteresting because it's a 20th century construction in a previous century's style, BUT the dome, which may have a fee, is interesting for its view, and the lower level is (basement) for its its being an older construction. Someone will surely follow with more details.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

Not far from the extraordinarily dull Cathedral of Madrid is the Basilica San Francisco El Grande -- small charge, but well worth it to see the lovely interior:

//janettravels.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/easter-egg-in-madrid-basilica-san-francisco-el-grande/

5. Re: Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 December 2013, 02:40
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,524 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

The Cathedral of Madrid was built on top of another church. The Neo-Romanesque crypt houses a 16th-century image of the Virgen de la Almudena and there are mausoleums of the most important Spanish families. On the right side of the façade is an entrance to the museum that brings one to the roof of the church, where one can have great views of the surrounding areas.

St.Julians-Malta
Level Contributor
816 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

Thanks for all the info

Thanks to you all my Holiday File is already building up nicely ..

Another Question is this ... Why many Hotels give their rates as for Room Only ...

Does this means that one can find loads of Restaurants around (Gran Via) offering nice and not too expensive Breakfast /and Menu of the Day lunches/Dinners Please .

Regards

Anthony

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

'Room only' usually means they don't include breakfast in the rate. However, there are many bars and restaurants that offer a simple breakfast for 2-4 euro. These seem to be everywhere in the city center. On my street alone, there were six within a block. And there are indeed lots of restaurants offering inexpensive "menus of the day" for lunch, some for as little as 8 euro. If you want to budget even more, head to the Corte Ingles supermarket and buy some of their already-made sandwiches. (These are located near the registers.) I was running on a tight budget during my recent visit and that was one way I was able to get by. Usually, I had a menu del dia in the day, then a sandwich or two at night. Not very exciting, but had no choice as I had spent most of my money on the flight, accommodations, and other travel expenses. You'll get better, more specific answers no doubt.

St.Julians-Malta
Level Contributor
816 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

Thanks Hansblix

I don't mind if get that bit better ... then that ... But it looks to add breakfast in some hotels I am searching to book charge a lot extra for breakfast. Regards dinner lunches I like menu of the day and even other bit dearer but don't wish to go for very expesive lunches/dinners. Regards hotel I am undesided id I choose one in Porto del Sol, Gran Via or Plaza Major area ... Still I am looking for a very centrally hotel ... Thanks again for help Hans

Anthony

10. Re: Which museums/Castles/Cathedrala are with free entrance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 05:18