We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time for a quick tour?

Bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
time for a quick tour?

In July, my husband and I will be traveling back to the US from Lisbon through Madrid. Our flight is due to arrive in Madrid at 10:15 am. My husband's second leg will depart at 12:15 where my flight will not leave until 7pm (the 'cost' of a FF ticket). Since my luggage will be checked through I assume, I'll only have a carry-on. I am not sure how far the airport is from the city center but would it be possible for me to hire a private tour guide to see some sights for a few hours........even though very brief this seems like an option to pass the7 hours or so between flights.

Your thoughts?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time for a quick tour?

Perhaps consider these guys.

madridcoolandcultural.com/categories/layover/

Bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time for a quick tour?

Thanks Hansblix! Unfortunately, the cost for 5 hours is more than almost 5 nights stay in France!! I hope there is something a bit more reasonable out there???

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,674 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time for a quick tour?

postcard:

You can take a taxi to the Plaza Mayor from the airport for about 25-30 euros, taking half an hour. From there you can walk to Cava Baja for some tapas. Later you can walk to the Gran Via and see the stores there. Plaza de España is at the end of the Gran Via.

Use Google Maps to find these locations.

Bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time for a quick tour?

Any concerns for a woman traveling alone? How would I get a taxi for the return to the airport? Would there be a place I could store an oversized bag? And will I run into a problem with communicating? Thanks for all your help!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time for a quick tour?

Hola! If you aré from Ney York you should not have any problem going around Madrid alone. Behave as you would do in the touristy areas of Manhattan, with the difference than in Madrid centre you can walk alone at any time of day or night without much concern, apart of pickpockets (these are opportunistic, so just do not have anything easy to pick and run). If you see anyone suspicious or "too close" just ignore them with your best "do not mess with me" look. But relax, most likely you will only find friendly people.

In your case, I would store your bags at the airport, take a taxi (or metro, or bus, if your budget it's tight) to the city centre. Walk around, maybe visit a small museum or exhibition, have some food...

To get a taxi back to the airport, just hail one in the street, there are always plenty around.

Most people in the touristy business will speak at least some basic English. For the taxis, just in case you can prepare a couple of cards: "a la Plaza Mayor" and "al aeropuerto, terminal X". In both I would add "necesito un recibo, por favor" (with receipt, please). Most of the drivers are honest but asking for a receipt (that will identify the driver and is your only proof on case of complaint) may avoid some surcharges in case you are unluckily to get a rotten apple ;)

Have fun!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time for a quick tour?

I think Belsaita's and others' posts should answer all your questions including the fact that being a woman alone is not a problem at all. Enjoy!

Edited: 28 December 2013, 13:58
Bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: time for a quick tour?

Yes it did!! The taxi drivers have always been the one source of concern at other locations (Thailand especially and Rome),but I at least had my daughter or husband with me.

I will trust your advice and go for it. I think the Metro might be a bit overwhelming, but, if there is an easy way to get to the Plaza using the Metro from the airport I might try that and take a cab back. Do you think it is easy to find and navigate the Metro as a tourist?

Thanks again!

8. Re: time for a quick tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 05:18