We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
452 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

I'm planning a trip to Madrid and then onto Cordoba and Malaga for this summer. Right now I'm planning to fly into Madrid on June 23rd and stay for 5 nights. I understand that Madrid is hot in the summer but is it still bearable for sightseeing and walking during the day?

Thanks for your help.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,771 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

m&m56:

Here are the averages for June:

www.holiday-weather.com/madrid/averages/june/

I think it is bearable because it is dry heat, with little humidity.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
452 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

Thank you Benny. I appreciate the information and your opinion. I'm not too worried about the heat in Madrid anymore after doing a search on this forum and reading some other posts.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

While Madrid will be bearable, I'd be much more concerned about Córdoba if you are worried by heat. Temperatures there can reach a staggering 45º and higher depending on the day, and nights are not much better. While end of june isn't the peak point of mid July to mid August it will certainly be very hot.

Be sure to look for a place with air conditioning, drink lots of water, and look for shadows which aren't hard to come by in the marvelous city of Córdoba (after all it had some smart designers).

Málaga will be the less hot of those three places -around 25º- although on some days we do have a north wind named Terral which is disgusting. End of June is usually too soon for that to happen though.

Have fun.

Edited: 31 December 2013, 07:31
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,771 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

Yes, we here in Malaga have the best climate in continental Spain. Some info about my hometown:

Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and has beaches, plenty of sunshine, and one of the best climates in Spain. It is also one of the most beautiful and relaxing cities in Spain, and 100% Spanish. Malaga has 14 museums (among them Glass and Crystal Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum, Automobile Museum, and the two Picasso Museums), historic churches (four founded by the Catholic Kings), and monuments that include two castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro). The sights are mostly downtown and completely walkable. There are very good restaurants, tapas bars, and nightlife. Shopping is wonderful and the city is very safe. The Malaga Park is a very large semi-tropical park and beside it is a new park called the Palmeral de las Sorpresas at the port. Muelle Uno is a new shopping/restaurant complex at the port. The Gardens of La Concepcion are the largest tropical plant gardens in Europe. There are about 1000 buildings from the 19th century downtown, one of the largest and best conserved collections in Spain.

The natives have the great charm of Andalucia and are among the most friendly people in Spain. It is easy to do day trips to the white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, since Malaga is the transportation hub of its province. Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities. One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

Good hotels:

5-star: Vincci Posada del Patio

4-star: Hotel AC Malaga Palacio – The rooftop restaurant is a romantic place during twilight with a great view of the port.

4-star: Hotel Molina Lario – The hotel restaurant Café de Bolsa is a very good restaurant.

3-star: Hotel Don Curro

The Restaurant El Pimpi at Calle Granada, 62, has Andalusian decoration and music and one can have tapas and try Malaga’s sweet wine here. This is the restaurant that celebrities are brought to. Movie stars and members of royalty have all been here.

Malaga was named by Trip Advisor as the 7th best destination in the “Traveler’s Choice 2013 – Top 10 Destinations of Spain” list.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

Unfortunate weather is totally unpredictable. And weather history websites can only give you an average of what has happen in the past. An average means one can expect higher or lower of the figs given.

I also would add that some sights close at lunch time so many do what the locals do, have a relaxing meal during the heat of the day.

I cannot find it right now but there has been some discussion as to how TA comes to it's figures on what is best. The best beach in Spain is in Galicia, but it does not tell you the whole story.

Edited: 31 December 2013, 12:04
Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

I remember one June arriving in mid-June at Madrid. We left Madison, WI & Chicago in the midst of a mild heat wave. Students were expecting that in Madrid. It was perfect weather...in the 70's..but nothing crazy hot. July is the beginning of school's out, let's head to the beach or wherever. August is hot! I think the research you have done has already told you what I said...more or less.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
452 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

Thank you to all for you comments. MACPollo, 45º is quite staggering! I believe that translates to 113º Farhrenheit! That's like Arizona here in the summer. Is it a dry heat? I'm not worried about Madrid or Malaga but am wondering if I'm better off changing my dates to May 26th to June 6th. That would put me in Cordoba on May 31st.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,525 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

The link above about weather averages in Madrid (June) says: Sea Temperature 11º C. Is that info reliable? Madrid is over 300 kilometers from the sea…

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

Like I said weather is unpredictable. So changing your plans for a few days makes no sense it maybe hotter sooner rather than later.

Sea temp? Perhaps then mean the ponds in Retiro Park?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
452 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: End of June - Too Hot in Madrid?

Casa_Santo, thank you for your perspective. You are correct about the unpredictability of the weather. Back in 2011 we went to Seville, Cadiz, Ronda, and Granada at the end of May, beginning of June because of the heat factor and with the exception of Seville found it to be a bit too cool! Ran into some cool, rainy weather in Ronda and Granada. So I guess you never can tell. BTW, loved Andalusia. We couldn't get over how good the food was. Missed Cordoba on that trip and have never been to Madrid or Malaga, hence this trip.