We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid to Cuenca and Valencia by train or car ?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County...
Level Contributor
316 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid to Cuenca and Valencia by train or car ?

I've been trying to get train ticket pirce in renfe.com but I keep getting errors. Does anyone have ticket prices from Madrid to Cuenca, then Valencia ? I am wondering if I should take the train or rent a car from Madrid Airport when I arrive. Hope I can stay awake! Thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid to Cuenca and Valencia by train or car ?

soverdi:

The train is more convenient than a car. There is no free parking in Spanish cities and hotels charge 11 to 20 euros a day for parking.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Orange County...
Level Contributor
316 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid to Cuenca and Valencia by train or car ?

Thank you, Benny. Is there a train from Madrid -Barajas Airport to Valencia ? I don't seem to get anything from the renfe.com site.

madrid
Level Contributor
428 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid to Cuenca and Valencia by train or car ?

no there isn't

there are two metro (subway) stations at the airport, T1,2,3 and T4

and there is suburban train network (cercanias owned by renfe) in the t4 station

you can't travel directly with renfe from the airport to any destination outside the cercanias network.

You must get to Atocha or Chamartin train stations and there take a long distance/high speed/regional train to your final destination.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid to Cuenca and Valencia by train or car ?

Train or car will be a better or worse option depending on your travel plans.

If you are just visiting these cities: train, no brainer. Faster, comfortable, no hassles and cheaper (add petrol, tolls and parking costs to the rental price)

As said above you should take a Cercanias train from Barajas airport to Atocha (trains to Cuenca depart from there). Or, a taxi for 30€

However, if you plan to visit small villages or natural areas, you will need a car. But I would not recommend doing it just after a long flight! If you have time for a few days road trip, you can take the train to Cuenca and there rent the car. From Cuenca to Valencia via Albarracin and Teruel is one of the most scenic and interesting drives in Spain, even it is surprisingly un-touristy.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid to Cuenca and Valencia by train or car ?

If you already have a RENFE AVE ticket (for example, Atocha to Valencia, this gives you a free Cercanias ride

from Terminal 4 to Atocha...using this same ticket.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
316 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid to Cuenca and Valencia by train or car ?

Thank You everyone! Holakjs, that is especially useful information. I am not sure if I missed that in the "Buying Renfe Tickets Online" thread. So, I suppose there is no mark on the ticket, or number for the T4 to Atocha ride ? Just show the ticket ? The tricky part is what if my plane arrives late and I miss my train to Valencia....... I should alot aroung 4 hours from arrival at airport maybe....

7. Re: Madrid to Cuenca and Valencia by train or car ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:18