We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting madrid for our first time= help us please

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
miramichi
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting madrid for our first time= help us please

We are a retired couple in our late fifties and will be visiting Madrid for 3 days the end of February. Please help me!!

1. What will I wear- will it be cold?

2. What area of the city would you recommend we find a hotel - we enjoy hop on hop off bus tours, walking tours, restaurants and bars sipping on wine and shopping for leather coats, belts and shoes. We would like to go out in the evening have dinner at a reasonable price have some wine or beer, people watch and be able to be safe and walk back to our hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting madrid for our first time= help us please

We just came back from Spain spending Christmas there. We stayed in Madrid for three days before moving on to Toledo, Cordoba, Granada, Seville, Valencia and Barcelona. We visited a few places in Madrid and the following are those attractions I would recommend since you have only three days.

Royal Palace, Plaza Mayor, Mercado de San Miguel, Museum Triangle, Museo del Prado, Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum of Art,

El Escorial - This is a day-trip about two hours away from Madrid but worth to see. You have to join a local excursion ,

Try to buy a Real Madrid football game ticket. They are the most famous football club in the world.

El Corte Inglés is the biggest department store in Spain.

I am not recommending this hotel but this is where we stayed in Madrid. We paid $174 USD /night with a very good buffet breakfast. The hotel front desk is very helpful showing us a lot of places to go.

Melia Galgos Hotel

Claudio Coello, 139 : Madrid 28006 : SPAIN

Have a good one in Spain!

Eddy

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting madrid for our first time= help us please

The Melia Galgos is a fine hotel but it is some distance from it to the historic center. If you enjoy walking, it's perfect. If not, a taxi ride is necessary...and I am sure the concierge at the hotel will be as helpful as Eddy says.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,737 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting madrid for our first time= help us please

ademjana:

Yes, It will be cold in February. You can dress in layers, meaning a sweater and a warm coat, with gloves. Many museums and stores are kept very warm and you will need to remove your coat to feel comfortable.

Downtown is the Gran Via, where there are many hotels and you can walk to many sights.

I also stay at the Melia Galgos in the Barrio Salamanca, which is the upscale barrio and the safest area, with plenty of security. It is beside Calle Serrano, the 5th Avenue of Madrid, with upscale stores. You can take the metro or taxi to most sights. I have to add that this hotel has the best breakfast buffet I have found in Spain.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 04:40
Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting madrid for our first time= help us please

Your user name does not reveal where you are from. The "cold" answer is relative, of course. If you're from someplace near Chicago, the temperature in Feb. in Madrid is rather mild, a break from the frigid Midwest of the USA. If you are from Guadalajara, Mexico, Madrid in February would be cold. I know this seems obvious, but just wanted to remind you for that fact.

miramichi
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting madrid for our first time= help us please

We live in Atlantic Canada and we know what "COLD" is. I am thinking that the end of February in Madrid would be cool. I could wear leggings, a blouse with a sweater and scarf??? We are spending three days in Madrid, thinking of either renting a car or taking a train to Toledo, spending a day or 2 there, then go to Cordoba for another day or two and then we go to Marbella where we are meeting some friends and staying for another 10 days. we will return to Madrid - either by train or fly and then we leave for Thailand. We leave Spain and vacation in Thailand for a month so it will be really warm and I do not want to have to pack 2 wardrobes:-) So any suggestions on 1. Where to stay in Madrid, Toledo and Cordoba?? 2. Renting a car v/s traveling by train? 3. I have concerns re safety and security as to where we stay. Any suggestions as to good places to eat at reasonable prices would be appreciated as well.

Thanking you in advance:-)

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting madrid for our first time= help us please

Madrid will not be cold for you then. Plan for it to be in the 5-14° range (C) upper 30s - 40s (F).

As for where to stay it depends on what you are looking for. Madrid is a very very safe city, but for *maximum* safety (which i think is perhaps unnecessary) then go with the suggestion of the Melia Galgos in Salamanca. However, as has been pointed out that neighborhood is not close to the major sites. You will need either to taxi or take the metro (which then opens you up to pickpockets, thus obviating any perceived safety gained by staying in Salamanca).

In my opinion, it is preferable to stay close to but not in Sol so I prefer the area around Plaza Santa Ana in the Cortes neighborhood. For about the same cost as the Melia you can stay at either the Catalonia las Cortes or if you manage to get a good deal the Palacio NH Tepa which are both very nice and also quite safe (I used to live next door to Catalonia and certainly never experienced any crime at all).

I do like the idea of staying over in Toledo and I often encourage people to do this. A nice way to do it is to stay at the Parador there. The view is fabulous and the breakfast is terrific. If you don't want to stay there, do grab a taxi up there and have a drink to enjoy the view (which is what we did one afternoon). There are plenty of hotels to choose from in Toledo, but I prefer those in the old city. We stayed in the Eurico which was very basic but very well located, close to the cathedral (and in my son's opinion more importantly) and to the Café de las Monjas which has terrific sweets and chocolate. Many people however do Toledo as a day trip from Madrid which is also a possibility as it's a short (20 minute) train ride away.

In Cordoba there is also a Parador (check out the site http://www.parador.es/en) if you're interested in staying in those. But there are many other hotels there as well. We stayed at the Hotel Eurostars Maimonides and it was a great location. Again, very basic hotel (we were there for a year of leave while my husband was doing research on his book so single salary, not too much income and living off dollars on a Euro system). But the location could not be beat and the hotel was clean and well kept. Do ask more in the Cordoba forum though about there. They will know much more in the Andalusia forums.

7. Re: Visiting madrid for our first time= help us please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 07:17