We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train seats

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Topic
Train seats

Hi,

I will be taking the AVE from Madrid to Seville then the train from Seville to granada (dont think they have an AVE but will be getting the quickest option). Do almost all of the seats face forwards? I read the part of the buying renfe tickets post on the right which mentions backwards facing seats near a symbol for a table, but apart from that do all seats on all trains face forwards? Can you see which face forwards or backwards by the diagram when you choose the seats on the renfe website?

Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train seats

In my experience most of the seats face forward except i the case where there is a table allowing groups of 4 to sit together. I've seen one table configuration per car.

That being said, if you find yourself facing the wrong way you can switch seats easily just wait a few minutes until after the train departs the station so you allow everyone to take their spot.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train seats

70peter:

All the AVE seats face forward except the ones at the end of the car with the table.

Holland, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train seats

When you book your seats have a look at the seating plan on this website. seat61.com/Europe-train-seat-plans.htm#Spain

As you can see which way they face. it depends on the direction of travel of the train as the seat backs do not change inclination. So I do not understand the above explanations.

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train seats

Hi, If I look at this link it looks like about half of the turistica seats face forwards and half backwards. If I click on a particular seat it brings up a little table that says 'madrid - sevilla' and 'sentido de la marcha' or 'espalda de la march' with a tick next to one of the two. It then says 'Seville to madrid' and has a tick in the opposite box.

Im guessing that this is indicating if the seat is forward facing or backward facing on that route. Is sentido de la marcha forward and espalda de la march backwards?

renfe.com/img/trenes/S-100r/ave_s100_r.html

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train seats

An AVE has a power car with driving cab at BOTH ends, just like most high-speed, local or suburban trains.

Half the seats face one way, half the other.

The train arrives at its terminus, the driver gets out, walks to the other end of the train, gets in the other cab, and the train departs on it's next run heading out the other way. The seats that faced forward on arrival become backward facing on departure.

You can tell which way seats face on the seating plans here, given the Spanish run their units a standard way round. Madrid-Seville trains are normally S100s: renfe.com/img/trenes/S-100r/ave_s100_r.html

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train seats

Thanks, I saw that, Im just not sure which means forward facing - sentida de la marcha or espalda de la marcha

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,876 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train seats

Sentida de la marcha = in direction of travel, forward facing

espalda de la marcha = with back to the direction of travel

so if you chose same seat number going out and it was forward facing then on the return it would be rear facing.

There is a listing of all the different types of Spanish trains on here

renfe.com/viajeros/nuestros_trenes/index.html

For the Seville to Granada run I believe that they use Media Distancia S-599 and by opening that page by clicking on left hand you will see below the photograph the following

¿Dónde está mi asiento? (Literally - where is my seat?)

You can receive a plan of the seats.

8. Re: Train seats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 06:19