We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County...
Level Contributor
316 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

Is this part of the Metro system, or is it a separate train that directly stops at Madrid's main train stations ? I have train tickets going to Valencia already with a Cercanias number. Which train do I take from the T4 airport terminal ? I am hoping I do not need to hop Metro trains at Nuevos Ministerios, etc....Gracias!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

Airport train renfe.com/viajeros/…index.html

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

Cercanias is a regional commuter train network (not part of the Madrid Metro) and is owned by Renfe, at least for now. No need to change at Nuevos Ministros. Look for Cercanias symbol when you get out of customs:

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…Cercanias_Logo.svg

Orange County...
Level Contributor
316 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

Thank you! this is very helpful info.

Homer, Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

Is the Barajas Airport T4 the same as the airport express? Also do you have to change buses getting to Atocha Station

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

No, T4 refers to the terminal 4 at the Madrid airport. If you're taking the airport express bus, Atocha is the last stop, so you have to get out there.

Homer, Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

Thank you. We are arriving from Lisbon on a "cheap flight". Is it easy to get to the airport express? My girl friend and do not speak Spanish.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

It should be easy. It's called "Expres Aeropuerto" and you should see signs for it after baggage claim. Or look for the logo. Here's an airport map (with the logo) which may help you. The bus stops at T1, T2 and T4. The second link is in English and may be helpful as well.

emtmadrid.es/lineaaeropuerto/itinerarios.html

madridman.com/blog-madrid/…

Edited: 01 February 2014, 05:15
Orange County...
Level Contributor
316 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

Steelhead59, are you landing in Barajas airport ? These "cheap flight" airlines sometimes go to other local airports....at least in other countries.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

good (or bad) thing about madrid is that it has just 1 airport, so lowcost airlines also go there (including ryanair, easyjet and vueling)

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barajas Airport T4 Cercanias line to Atocha/ Chamartin

the cercanias is not part of the madrid metro. it is part of the spanish rails system (RENFE). the cercanias is the suburban or local commuter train' symbolised by a white inverted c inside.a red circle.

soverdi: you have bought your ticket for valencia, the cercanias is free with your renfe ticket. this should take all the way to atocha station which is the last stop for the cercanias. please pay attention to the entrance to the cercanias as the madrid metro is also on the train floor. if i am not mistaken, your cercanias ticket will not go through the ticket validation machine for the metro.you do not want to take the metro anyway as you will need to transfer at nuevos ministeros station.

steelhead59: the cercanias will be faster on your way to madrid atocha station.