We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oviedo- Madrid Car or Train?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oviedo- Madrid Car or Train?

We will be traveling from Oviedo to spend one night in Madrid before flying out the next day. We will have a rental car in Oviedo. Should we drive or take a train? If we drive, I want to return the car at the Madrid airport before we go into Madrid for the day and spend the night. Is this too much of a hassle and a waste of time?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oviedo- Madrid Car or Train?

Personally I would leave the car in Oviedo.

Should you drop the car off at Barajas airport, train into the city from T4 renfe.com/viajeros/…index.html

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oviedo- Madrid Car or Train?

The train ride from Oviedo to Madrid is very nice. The train station is near city center so easy to get to. I agree with Nurioopta that I would leave the car in Oviedo, but there is one consideration....

Where did you pick up the car? If you got it in Oviedo, I would definitely take the train. If you got it in Madrid, it might be cheaper to return it to the same spot.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 03:27
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,627 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oviedo- Madrid Car or Train?

openup:

I would fly from Oviedo to Madrid using Iberia or Vueling.

To take the train to Madrid, you first have to go to Valladolid and then take a second train to Madrid.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oviedo- Madrid Car or Train?

Benny, I was stunned to read this thinking there was a big change because we're traveled Oviedo-Madrid a number of times without a change of trains.So I checked the RENFE.es schedule. There are six (6) trains daily to/from Oviedo and two require change in Valladolid and the other four don't. Later I checked to confirm the exact # of trains, and I continue to get errors. Maybe there has been a change...Certainly, no surprise to experience problems with the Renfe website. Open up, consider a phone call to business hours in Spain to the number the Benny lists in the "Buying Renfe Tickets Online"...which is to the right of this column...on the same page

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oviedo- Madrid Car or Train?

No change of trains! There is an automatic track gauge changeover in Valladolid. Spanish automatic gauge changeover systems allow trains to pass automatically from a line with an Iberian track gauge to another with the international track gauge (AVE, High Speed Line) – or vice versa –, and without changing axles or bogies, as the train passes through the installation.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 21:46
Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oviedo- Madrid Car or Train?

The other factor in flying into Oviedo is that the airport of Asturias is half-way between its two major cities, Oviedo and Gijon, and one must take public transit or friend's pick-up to reach either city...about an half hour or 45 minute trip. An additional hassle when the train arrives conveniently in the city center. I know since we've done both a number of times over the years.

7. Re: Oviedo- Madrid Car or Train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:22