We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gelato in Madrid

Heber City, Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Gelato in Madrid

Any recommendations for great Gelato in Madrid?

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gelato in Madrid

article is in spanish, but addresses are the same. …blogspot.be/2013/05/los-mejores-helados-de-…

It is not know as gelato as this is the Italian term, but as helado, the spanish one. The name of the shop selling helado is heladeria.

Heber City, Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gelato in Madrid

Gelato and ice cream (helado) are not the same thing. I love ice cream, but prefer gelato. I´m wondering if there is somewhere in Madrid that sells good gelato.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gelato in Madrid

<< Gelato and ice cream (helado) are not the same thing >>

How are they different? I travel to Italy quite often and gelato is just the Italian word for helado... unless I'm missing something.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gelato in Madrid

My favorite 'heladerías' in Madrid are Mistura on Calle Augusto Figueroa 5 (Chueca) and La Romana on Calle Hortaleza 48 (Chueca).

http://misturaicecream.com/

http://www.gelateriaromana.com/en/

I'd also try the 'horchata' at Heladería Alboraya on Calle Alcalá 125.

http://www.horchaterialboraya.com/

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gelato in Madrid

I think we are somewhat lost in translation in here.

Gelato and ice-cream in the USA are indeed not the same thing. Gelato (in the US sense of the word) is most of the time the same thing as Spanish helado in good heladerias and the same thing as Italian gelato in good gelaterie.

As most of the time both Italian and Spanish gelati/helados makers use the (for the sake of mutual understanding, I would say) "Italian ice-cream method", gelato and helado (italian and spanish) are equivalent, and also equivalent to american english word gelato.

Also, most good heladerias in madrid are either owned by Italian people, or from Valencian region (a region in Spain that has a great helado tradition, that in fact share a common history with Italy as at some point they were the same country, i.e. Italy was part of spain), the helado you find in spain is very similar to the gelato you find in italy (in good heladerias).

Heber City, Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gelato in Madrid

Thanks for clarifying. Good to know.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gelato in Madrid

Giangrossi: Velázquez nº 44. Con sus característicos sillones y una selección muy atractiva: té verde, mandarina con zanahoria, lima y jengibre...

This used to be my favorite with a store on Calle de Sevilla...now you have to go to Velazquez to get its terrific gelato. My favorite flavor: dulce de leche (caramel) I imagine the economic crisis had a lot to do with the demise of some of these shops.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 18:04
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gelato in Madrid

Mistura is my favorite too! But there used to be a place near to Sol called Heladeria de Teatro on Calle Principe which is (was?) also very good.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,270 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gelato in Madrid

madridpremium.es/actualidad/detalle/las-mejo…

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gelato in Madrid

@BennyMalaga

what's your personal favorite heladería in Madrid?